Monday, January 25, 2016
New Puppy
This weekend we met our new puppy. Lord Wilhelm von Neuchswanstein Hall Williams. He is a German Shephard and we are all already fighting over him. Well, not really all of us - just Joelly and I.
We went to this "puppy party" which was really quite stressful. All of the people who had claimed a puppy were there, and a few others who were there just to meet the puppies and maybe consider it. I do not know how you can leave a room of puppies and not have taken one as your own, so those people who were only "considering" were nuts in my mind, but whatever.
So, there we were the fourth family in line for four male puppies. All of the ladies were up for grabs, but as I mentioned before - after Otter, I have learned that I must be the only Bitch in this house, so we wanted a boy. Ladies will fight with me, Otter and I used to argue, seriously argue. She would make these teenage girl fighting noises back at me. I'm looking for a big loveable male.
We learn about the four boy puppies. They all have different color collars to differentiate them. Black is already taken. He seems cute enough, but we knew he was off limits so we didn't see to do anything about it.
Light blue comes over and says hello. I'm excited to meet a boy, any boy. All of the puppies seem enthralled with my boots that have fur that looks like theirs. James and Joel are loving petting them, and then James gets easily bored, he is done, this is not for him, he watches a video on a chair to the side the remainder of the time.
Then pink comes over. Pink (a girl) is working it hard. Giving me kisses, rolling all over my lap. This is the problem with girl dogs, they are smart, manipulative and know how to use their charms when necessary. I totally almost fell for it too.
Green keeps whizzing by us, and dark blue is a bit of a missing puppy. But, there pink is, and red too. Light blue will stop and hang out with us, maybe a few seconds with dark blue - and there is pink, and red. Then we realize that the families are going to start picking - so bascially, our puppy will be the leftover male. We do not get to pick. We get what no one else wants. Interesting. I start to really pay attention to the conversations around the room now.
"Green is Mean." This is what Gail, the breeder, is saying over and over again. "Green, that boy, is a mean one." Um, wait! Gail! Stop telling people that, we will get stuck with Green! I look at Gail after the 8th time she says it and say "what happens if we get green?" She replies - "I would never do that to you, if green is left you get a female." Disappointment rushes over my face. What? No! We want a boy.
Now I am really on high alert for the people getting boys. "Green doesn't seem so mean." I try to interject. The woman to my left starts telling us she wants a dog for rescue missions, she is a Vet Tech and she does back woods rescue training and drills. She is a boy chooser. She chooses green. A wave of relief comes my way. Now there is only one woman left, all by herself, here to pick a boy. She is picking my family companion for the next 10-12 years, I realize. I am not a fan of her.
Luckily, for all involved - the puppies have now ran around and enjoyed so much fun, that they just start to pass out anywhere they land. Anywhere. Gail grabs the two blue boys and hands them to this lady who has all the cards, and dark blue just immediately passes out. The lady swoons, and it is all over. Before the girl can even claim dark blue Gail has swept light blue out of her arms and into mine. Light blue started to fall asleep in mine instantly. And then I swooned. So predictable. Then Gail says: "He is needy, but he is a good match." I love Gail.
Joel Andrew asks if he can hold the puppy, and the rest is history. We spend the next 40 minutes with light blue, our Wim, sleeping in Joel Andrew's lap. He got up once, went to the grassy pad and peed, then came back and went to sleep. I was proud.
Joel Andrew has already begun negotiations as to where the dog will sleep and whose dog it will really be. I keep saying: "It is going to be a lot of work, you know." He seems to know, and he seems to think he is ready. We will see after a few days of picking up poop whose dog Wim really is..!
We get him in three weeks. Can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






He is adorable!! How did you settle on a German Shepard? I want to get us a puppy this spring, but have no idea where to start. How did you find your breeder?
ReplyDeleteWe have known the breeder for years and years. She originally trained Otter, and Angus too (she is a big dog trainer, and never understood Angus to be fair to her! - she was phenomenal with Otter). She moved to Kingston, NH - just about when we moved to NH too (she used to be near us in Burlington). Gail has been breeding German's for years, this is her "L" litter. I would have NEVER said yes to German - they previously intimidated me. But, lots of things collided. One, we were broken into. I need a dog that will help me feel safe. Two - I couldn't find any rescues (that would give a dog to a fam that has an elderly dog and little kids and travels a lot or that goes near a lake or that has electric fence, you name it, and none were for us) nor any breeders that I liked. I like Gail and know Gail. So, I decided to take a second look at the breed. Then, I met people who have german's and I loved meeting the dogs, I can run with this dog, it is a family dog, it will enjoy the snow and the lake (but not as much as Otter..!). So, we are excited! She has another litter coming in the Spring...!
Delete