This weekend we went to Strawbery-Banke's Puddle Dock Skating Rink for the first time. This was a big deal for a few reasons:
- I don't skate. And, when I do activities that might infringe on my running (i.e. I hurt myself) - I get angry nowadays.
- I am a history person. The creation of this Rink started much controversy because they just dug down to put the generators in, without taking care of the historic site that it sits on. This is actually a post initofitself. I could do a whole chapter of my book on this. The reason why it was a super big deal, is that it is a historic site, a place that "preserves history" and they were ripping it up to make room for a "disney-like" thing. I, a person who works for a history Museum, should shun this. However, most people who know me know that I do also feel that if we don't give these history institutions room to be relevant and popular and bring in new audiences, they will not exist anymore. A balance needs to happen. Anyway, that is the background on that.
- Previous comments from friends about the place included: "packed in like sardines," and my favorite: "If your kids fall, tell them to curl their fingers under so that another person doesn't cut them off with the blades of their skates." WHAT?
Despite those three things, we still went, and we had a great time. We invited the Solsos, a skating family, to come with us. This actually provided much comical relief for both them and us. Joel Husband went around the rink once. I went around three times, and only hugged the wall marginally. Kim had her figure skates on and probably could have triple sow cowed around me, and Mat zoomed all over the rink. Maddy, too - was speeding around and Joel Andrew, bless him, was trying very - very hard to keep up with her and falling everywhere. Actually, Joel Andrew wins the Williams family award for sure, he stayed out almost the entire time, kept trying and did not want to be done. James was cool after a few spins, then he wanted a snack.
The kicker was after most of the Williams quit, we found the snack bar - Fig Tree Kitchen, and grabbed a beer, a wine, and a donut and then sat and watched the Solso's expertly skate around with our Joelly falling behind them and trying to keep up.
It was a great afternoon activity to do too just before the Pats game to get some energy out of all.
Logistically, I would do it again. You can rent skates here, and they have a warming room where you can feel comfortable leaving your stuff - though there are no lockers in this room. The cost was about $50 with my family of four (rentals and all), and you can go on their Facebook page to see the current open times - check in advance because sometimes they do not have a free skate and they have scheduled shows and such.
There are tables around to sit and have snacks, and Fig Tree Kitchen is the best - local, delicious, wine and beer and amazing hot chocolate too. Try one of their quiches! So, you could certainly make a day of it. When we arrived it was not crowded at all, but within a 1/2 hour there was a line to buy tickets. We arrived right at noon - my guess is it was the after lunch rush that was coming in, so get there early!
If I squinted real hard, while I was drinking my chardonnay, I could almost picture the European skating rink we saw in Vienna, which was in the center of town Park - had biergarden's all around it, and had various pathways to skate in and out of. A great community place for gathering and having fun. I think that was the whole idea behind why Strawbery-Banke added it. That, and to make money. I think they succeeded!
No comments:
Post a Comment