Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Don't Quit Your Day Job

Don't get me wrong, I love the little bugger. I love spending all day with him and I know how lucky I am that we are able to allow me to stay home and spend all day with him. But now that summer is winding down, and we are starting to get into a groove, I am wondering - oh boy, is this what I am going to be doing, now? For like a long time?

It is pretty funny when your husband comes home from work and asks "What did you do today?" My response: "We went on a 25 minute walk, screamed in a car ride to pick up a prescription, made ratatouille, and now I am exhausted." That is it, all we did, and I needed a big nap. I used to do all of that before 9am! If this is how I feel in nice weather, imagine in the wintertime?

I sort of knew this was going to happen - the grass is always greener type stuff. I am certain that if I had not left my job, right about now I would be freaking out about going back. I know for sure there is no way I could have handled my most recent job with this little guy - full time plus nights and weekends is just too much, but still - maybe there is something for me to do, to get out once in a while?

In the meantime, I must remind myself why I named this blog Mommy and Me in NE. Because, again, I knew I might go a bit stir crazy so the purpose was for me to get out with him, and for us to see new things together. Go and visit the weird, wacky and wonderful about New England. Try new things, take the dogs places too, hang out with friends, etc. Today we had a wonderful morning in Newburyport with the Cobb girls - but too bad the weather stunk. Hopefully it will cooperate next time so that we can walk along the harbor and maybe do a little shopping...
In the meantime, we are fighting colic, or a milk allergy with all of our might. Mom has stopped eating dairy and has immediately dropped 3 pounds. Baby seems to be reacting better to this, but I still can't tell. I miss my cheese! He is better without the dairy (less blood curdling screaming fits), but the fussiness is still much more noticeable than before. If it is colic, I hope it passes soon. Right now he is swaddled, sucking on his pacifier, and in his swing all at once. This, after a baby massage, mani/pedi, and nice bath (notice the PG photos above). I am hoping after his nap he will be back to happy baby boy and perhaps we can enjoy the afternoon sunshine (yes, the sun came out after Newburyport!) with a long walk.
In the meantime, I will continue to keep busy. I will be thankful for my SAHM status, and try not to go too stir crazy. I honestly think I am going to write a book. I will title it "The Truth About Breastfeeding." It will be a best seller and I will be interviewed by Meredith Viera on the Today Show for it. No one else seems to tell you the truth! My new favorite thing is hearing and reading that only less than 5% of babies have a milk allergy. Yeah, right. Pretty much every baby I know right now has one! Another thing they do not tell you because they want to guilt Mom's into breastfeeding. I have a whole conspiracy theory about this...
Till next time all, send in your suggestions for things the two of us can do together!

1 comment:

  1. My first baby was born at the end of October - those winter months really stunk! Definitely a good idea to make an effort to get out. If your desperate, the mall is always good, especially if there is a Nordstrom's - they have a really great nursing/changing area in the women's lounge.

    Have you thought about reflux instead of a milk allergy? Both of my kids had/have it, it's apparently very underdiagnosed and really common. Probably what's behind most of the unexplained "colic" that has been seen for ages. They have medication to help, and there are lots of other tips, too (elevating the crib at one end, keeping baby upright for ~30 minutes after eating, etc). Babies don't have to spit up a lot in order to have reflux, it can often be "silent." I went crazy with my first trying to figure out if he had an allergy (took dairy and soy out of my diet, etc), but nope, he just had reflux. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete