Thursday, September 24, 2009

Play Dates

This week we have been out and about a lot! On Monday Nana Karen, the saint, took Mommy and LJ to the nail place. Mommy sat and had a mani-pedi while Nana watched the baby. Seriously, is any other mother-in-law out there this great? I cannot tell you how fabulous a foot massage felt! I need to work on getting Big Joel to give me these... We had lunch at Bertucci's and the whole time there were just a few peeps out of the little guy. Not bad for his first trip to Andover!

Later that evening I had an even bigger treat by getting out to my first tap dance class. I haven't tapped since I was in high school - but it is coming back. Sort of like riding a bike, sort of... I have a ways to go, but it was a nice break. I think the teacher was a bit concerned about me and asked me how I felt about it after the class. I told her as long as I was bouncing around to the music with a smile, that she should not worry about me! It is quite a work out!

Tuesday we had a much-needed break at home. But Wednesday we were back at our travels. LJ needed to meet his girlfriend, Maddy. Maddy and his mom Kim live in Derry - so we travelled out there to their home for a fun play date. On the way, I thought I would stop at a nice bakery to pick up a few treats. You can't show up at someone's home empty handed. Low and behold, the bakery is closed. Shut down! What to do? Well, the liquor store right next door was open... So, I brought a six pack... to my first play date. People on Facebook seemed to approve! LJ had a wonderful time but Kim and I seemed to have a problem keeping both of the children awake at once. When Maddy was ready to play, LJ was sleeping in the swing. When LJ was out and about Maddy was down for her afternoon nap. Oh well, next time they will meet!
Today was ultra-fun. I have been stressing about a trip into Boston for a while now. It just seems so far, complicated and full of potential road blocks. Literally, getting caught in traffic with a screaming newborn in the backseat is not my idea of fun. But we did it today! On the way in I got a flu shot (cross your fingers this will not make me sick). We visited with Diana at the VNA as well. Let me tell you that LJ is a huge lady-killer. He had all of the ladies melting with just a bat of his little eyelashes.

The melting continued when we arrived at Aunt Mahlman's apartment. We were her welcoming crew to Boston today and boy am I glad that the little man delivered. He smiled and chatted with Aunt Mahlman, it was like they were best friends from way back. No melt downs at all! He even helped as Mom and Aunt Mahlman decorated her bedroom.
Tomorrow is Gymboree! Then, in the evening he gets to go to a farm for dinner with Nana, Pa and Mom and Dad. We can't wait to see the horses, chickens, sheep and pigs at Spencer-Peirce Little Farm in Newbury. Good times await!

He continues to scream bloody murder every once and a while, even thought I stopped dairy. So, I am back on dairy... I rationalize this as we both need our calicum! I have actually started an excel spreadsheet that I will chart soon monitoring everything I eat, every time he eats, and his fussy and sleep periods. It is neat to see that during the day the little guy tends to be awake for an hour to an hour and a half, then sleeps for an hour. Who knew until I wrote this down? I know what you are thinking - who does and excel spreadsheet for this? Yes, I will be that crazy mom...

This week though I am noticing a lot. He pretty much is having full-blown conversations with us now. Of course he is just making various sounds and smiling a lot, but I swear I understand what he is saying. Waking up time is the best. I hope to get this on video, it is priceless to see his shining face in the mornings when he is ready for the day - he certainly does not get this from Mom or Dad, I wonder who? I swear he thinks that waking up is the best and most exciting thing ever!

And, I will spare you the gory details, but after a short hiatus, Senor Poopy Pants has made a comeback. You know, when you need to change his outfit? Well, this week I needed to change my own outfit at one point! I do not mind that we are going through his clothes - about three outfits a day at least - though, as this is the last warm week - today was probably the last warm day, and I wanted to get as much use out of the summer things as possible.

Ok, back to laundry!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love those big smiles first thing in the morning or after naps? It means LJ is doing very, very well :-) I also did a spreadsheet for Cameron's waking and naps and it really helped me to understand her patterns. If you are interested: http://staceysbloghasgotitgoinon.blogspot.com/2009/05/yes-i-guess-i-do-need-to-go-back-to.html

    ReplyDelete