
So, little Joel is doing so much better, you would never even know he was sick! But Mommy, not so much. Yesterday morning I woke up with a massive migraine. Because I do not like to take any medicine ever, I did not listen to the Drs when they told me which of the asprins it is ok to take when breastfeeding. Big mistake. I needed to call into the office to ask (can't trust the internet) and by the time they got back to me I was a bit of a mess. Tylenol is the answer by the way, and I found everything but tylenol in our cabinet. Typical! So, I toughed it out and over the course of the day the migraine turned into just simple headache.

Sadly that was not it, as the migraine went away I noticed I felt hot, I took my temperature and it said 104! I could not believe it so I thought the thermometer was wrong and ignored it. We took lots of naps and I tried so hard to get better - as that evening I was to go into Boston for an important meeting at the MFA. I had already cancelled on them before and I really wanted to be there. At 1:30 though, with a sore throat, cough and still headache I knew I needed to cancel, keep the babysitter (Nana Karen, thank you!) and just rest.

So, rest I did. But when I woke up later I knew something was still wrong. My symptoms were getting worse. I tell this story for all the new moms, or soon to be moms who tell me my blog is "very informative." You will want to write this one down. Someone who experienced the same thing told me about it, and it did not click with me until later on, at this point in the evening. I took my temp again and confirmed I had a 102.5 fever. I knew exactly at this time what I had - mastitis.
This is another joy of breastfeeding ladies. A blockage in your boob which is extremely painful and causes fever and flu-like symptoms. I called my mid-wife and she prescribed antibiotics. The baby is not harmed during this at all - and joy of joys you are supposed to continue breastfeeding through the pain (they say it helps, what? Are thy kidding? Are they evil?). I started taking the medicine last night at 11 and already I feel like a new woman.
So, moral of the story is, do not wait on your own health like I did! I am glad I listened to my gut and cancelled my meeting, though I am devastated to keep leaving the Museum in the lerch. They deserve a lot better than that!
Now off for vaccines, and then hopefully an illness-free long weekend. Grandma Hedy and Grandpa Dave arrived late last night, and we are off to see Nana Karen and Pa Ken tonight!
Well, it's one of the joys of breastfeeding if you are lucky (?!?) enough to have an oversupply. I guess that is one silver lining to my personal struggle in producing enough milk!
ReplyDelete