Secondly, we are a sick family. Literally. On Wednesday at 4 pm it hit me, and boy was I down for the count. Violently ill until I was finally able to get some rest about 6 hours later. All the way up until today I am still feeling like a mess. I thought this was a 24 hour bug, but a call to the Dr says that this lasts usually for 4-7 days! AHH!
Thursday morning I wake up hoping the kiddo will sleep in, no such luck, and he has the sniffles to boot. A slight fever, cough and sneezing. Awesome. Joel stays home from work, but that only means that Joel works from home. So, he still has phone calls to make, emails to be sent, reports to do. My whining does not seem as important as his job, I get it.
Friday I thought I was better, and Joel went to work. Over the course of the day I was worn down and by the time Joel got home, late, I was in tears. I went right to bed. This weekend I have tried to get as much rest as possible, but it has been a tough battle, and this little bug is winning.
I will have you know, I pride myself for having the stomach of steel. Yes, in college I talked to the big white phone... But not until my pregnancy had I gotten ill (without the help of alcohol) since I was a child. So, this really was a big deal for me. Add on fever and utter exhaustion and then try to take care of a fellow sick 8 month old. But, a wonderful note to his illness - he does not seem tired at all? huh?
So, enough with the whining and down to the basics. What do you guys do in this situation? We do not have local families, so there was no help there. Probably Joel staying home from work was not a good plan. If you had day care, would you send your kid and stay home to rest? But, you probably could not send him if he was sick like mine. Any strategies for me for next time, or for tomorrow if this thing is still with me?
Totally daycare so I can lounge in bed, sleep a lot and get better! Something to keep in mind is that a lot of chain daycares offer drop in care if you really need it...
ReplyDeleteWe are in your situation, probably even more so - no family in a 450 mile radius. This kind of thing has happened before, and will again I'm sure. I would have Mark stay home if I was sick AND a child is sick. But he would have to take a sick day, and only do work if/when he could squeeze it in. That means he'd be on tap for all kid duty stuff so I could get rest.
ReplyDeleteIf the child just has a cold (no fever or vomiting), he or she would go to daycare, no question about it.
Also meant to say, sorry you and the little guy have been sick! We've had various bugs/viruses invading our house for the last month, and it's still not over. So I can sympathize with your plight, and hope you are all back to 100% soon!
ReplyDeleteHow about parents in a pinch or some other organization that you can use that will send someone to your house? A local college student who can babysit? We went through this one weekend and Aaron had no choice - he had to watch the kids so I could recover. We have local family though (when they aren't traveling with your in-laws and/or in Maine). It's one reason we stay in the Boston area.
ReplyDeleteParents in a pinch? I love it! Both my mom and karen thought about flying in but that is ridiculous. Soon enough we will have local parents - K&K move back for the summer in just about 8 weeks or so.
ReplyDeleteI think we are going to figure out some sort of childcare situation soon. We have never had anyone other than one of our moms watch the kiddo. Well, Jennie and Jeremy watched him for an hour an a half once while we were at the neighbors! they did a great job of course! But, he is 8 months and it is time for us to cut the cord and go out for a night or an hour and leave him in someone's capable hands...