- BATH TIME: When can you avoid using infant tubs/seats in the bath? We are going to Hilton Head, and I do not want to lug one down/buy one down there unless it is necessary. He can sit up on his own - if two of us are there to watch him in the bath, will that be enough? Would the Safer Bather still be good for a baby that sits up?
- TRAVEL: We will be flying down to Hilton Head, just the baby and me. I will have the car seat, and we bought the baby a seat. Any tips for us? Any learned lessons? We need to change planes in Charlotte... I am hoping if there is an issue with our layover someone might help us...
- TRAVEL Part 2: We are driving all the way back up from HHI to NH. 8 days! Lots of stop overs and rests, never more than 3 hours at once in the car. Any tips, tricks, thoughts? As you can imagine, I am a little worried.
- TOYS and BOOKS: Any recs on the best toys and books for varied age ranges? Nana and Pa might want to start a small library/shelf in HHI, but I want to make sure it is stuff that we can use again on our visit next year. Back to basics, blocks? Ideas, thoughts?
- SWING: How old is too old for use of the swing? He still loves it...
- MONITOR: What are your thoughts, video or regular?
- CRIB: When did you lower your mattress? Do we wait until he starts to pull himself up, or should we do it now in advance of that? When did you get rid of your mobile? I am assuming I am behind the curb on that one...
- BOUNCERS AND SUCH: When did your kids get tired of these? Just wondering what the expiration date for these items might be...
- LAUNDRY: Can we stop using Dreft already, or should we keep going?
- SLEEP: We went from swaddle to sleep sack. When should we end sleep sack? Now it is really just to keep him warm enough, but I assume in the summer weather he will not need anything but his pjs? When do you start to give them a blanket? Should I anticipate a problem when removing the sleep sack?
- BINKYS: Do your kids still use a binky? When did you stop it? We stopped the binky for sleeping, but still use it at various points during the day and in the car. Should I start to phase this out?
- BOREDOM: Any creative things to do with the kiddo? We just sit and play on the carpet a lot. Any tips or tricks for helping your kiddo with talking, crawling, developmental milestones, etc. I know, this is a really wide topic - but if you have anything like: "she loves it when..." let me know!
Any advice/thoughts you have would be much appreciated! I realize this is a pretty large list of things, so just a response to one or two at the most is even appreciated! Thank you, thank you!
Great questions! For bathtime we JUST stopped using the safer bather. We only stopped because Cameron was starting to stand up. Now I need to buy one of those suction mats so she doesn't slip all over the place. The safer bather is perfect for J now that he can sit up. You'll see! Plus it's much easier to pack/lug around than the tub. I'm more than happy to help out if you get stuck in Charlotte...Karen can get you my cell/home number. In terms of traveling can I recommend you bring the stroller attachment and gate check it (assuming the car seat you are using works with one). It was nice for me to have both hands free if I needed it. Otherwise a ring sling (nice and cheap) or some other baby wearing device can be helpful. I do recommend you bring a blanket with you and let J hang out on the floor before you board the plane. It makes things much easier because he can settle down before the flight(s).
ReplyDeleteI haven't done a long trip with Cameron in the car so no advice there except to make sure that if you are sitting in the front seat you can recline your chair/move it back to get easy access to J. So he should sit behind the driver's seat.
Board books are really good at this age since J will rip apart paper books. We packed away the swing when Cameron started sitting up but she is a great napper in the crib. Whatever gets you a break! Definitely a regular monitor. Video monitors creep me out and make me more paranoid than I already am. We lowered Cameron's crib when she was 9 months or so...just before she started to want to pull up. The bouncer went when she started crawling. No way will they want to stay there! But exersaucers are still being used at 11+ months. We never used any special laundry detergent. If you are worried about skin reaction then use use a dye free one. I plan on using a sleep sack for another year. I have heard that it's good because even when they can pull themselves up then they can't swing their legs over the crib rail and try to get out. We have flannel ones now but I need to go up a size and I'll get cotton ones for the summer.
I love the pacifier. But my friend Amanda stopped using it with her son at about J's age. It's all what you want. When Cameron started crashing into things while learning how to move it was nice to give it and calm her down.
I can't say enough about playgroups for helping with development. They really learn from each other! Sorry for the novel :-) I hope you don't get stuck in Charlotte but if you do, it would be fun to see you! Perhaps we can meet up in HH next fall? We head down when my parents are there in September.
THANK YOU STACEY! I love the comment about the monitor, that applies to me...regular monitor it is! Thank you for the novel, I love it and need all the help I can get. I will get the Safer bather right away. I would love to go to HHI in the fall, and just need to check-in with the fam, though my guess is they would love a little man visit. I will let you know how the car trip goes... I am a little too optimistic, I think!
ReplyDeleteYou do have a lot of questions! Since Dominick is turning one this month, we’ve recently had to answer these same questions… so here are my thoughts:
ReplyDelete• BATH TIME: We went from baby bath tub to sitting in the kitchen sink. He loved it! Now we use the inflatable duck thing in the big tub. It helps with a good transition AND you can take it with you when you travel. Check BRU.
• TRAVEL: I flew with Dominick at the same age and we didn’t have the extra seat, so I used the “Sleepy Wrap” and he LOVED IT! We both did. He pretty much slept the entire flight back and I didn’t have to hold him with my arms, he just snuggled up in the wrap. Since you have the seat, you have even more options. But if you need to hold him a lot during the flight, I highly recommend the sleepy wrap. Changing planes is a HUGE deal with kids – be sure you have plenty of time and ASK for help if anyone offers. Complete strangers, can carry a variety of things off the plane for you! But you hold on to your little one
• TRAVEL Part 2: Can’t help with the car travel – most we’ve done is an hour.
• SWING: we stopped using the swing around 5 months. Dominick didn’t really love it, and he was almost at the weight limit, 20 lbs.
• MONITOR: Video all the way! His room is close enough that I can hear him w/out the volume on, so if I hear him, I just glance over at the monitor and can see exactly what he’s up to. If the volume was on, I’d wake up at every little peep.
• CRIB: We lowered it when Dominick started pulling himself up. Got rid of the mobile when he could sit up and grab it.
• BOUNCERS AND SUCH: Dominick didn’t use the bouncer much, but we put it away around 5 months.
• LAUNDRY: yes, stop using Dreft. Do a test and wash ONE of his items with yours and see how he reacts to normal detergent. Do the same test w/ a dryer sheet or fabric softener.
• SLEEP: Sleep sacks serve two purposes – one to keep baby warm and it helps with their sleep routine. As soon as we put it on Dominick, he’s ready for bed! They come in a variety of weights, fleece and light weight cotton. We’ll continue to use them for quite a while because it really does help him sleep much longer. We’ve tested it. He hardly sleeps at Grammies, unless he’s in his sack!
• BINKYS: Dominick LOVES his paci. He uses it for naps and car rides. We do not use it during the day. If he sees it, he’ll make a b-line and go for it. So we keep them out of reach during the day.
• BOREDOM: I’ve taught Dominick sign language. He’s just now starting to sign back, we started around 6 months or so. There’s a great DVD series “Baby Signing Time”. And no, teaching your child signing does not delay their speech, in fact it increases their vocabulary and encourages speaking sooner. Find a local mom’s group, play dates, meeting new people. Good luck! I hope this helps!
I have traveled with both boys at various ages both via plane and car.
ReplyDeleteBath - Like your friend I used the sink as the second step to the baby bath tub and then went to a rubber mat until just recently. I never lugged a baby tub on trips.
Airport - Will LJ be a lap baby? If so, I would say baby bjorn & a light weight stroller. I threw my bags in the empty stroller and pushed that. It made it VERY easy plus my boys really enjoyed watching everyone. Also, I don't know if you thought about what you were going to pack but I would suggest that you only take with you the amount of diapers/wipes you would use for that day. Either stop at a store at HH or ship them ahead to where you are staying.
Airplane entertainment - I brought 3 new toys on the plain - one book - a touch and feel, one soft chewy book and then another sensory toy.
Great Books that last - My boys loved (and still love) the Sandra Boynton Books. Barn Yard Dance,The Going to Bed Book, Pajama Time, etc... Other favorites are Good Night Moon, Brown Bear Brown Bear What do You See...
Other Entertainment - Are the Baby Einstein DVD's. If you want some and don't have any I would be happy to send you some.
Swing - My boys LOVED the swing and I let them sit in it until the motor could not swing them....
Paci - Landon just decided recently that he was giving up his Paci... I am not a good one to ask but I let my boys choose when to loose it to the Paci Fairy... They could not use it during the day but at nap and night they were allowed. I would keep the paci until at least after this trip...that's just me.
Laundry - I never used Dreft I always used what I used. I never had a problem. If I had I would have switched.
Crib - I lowered mine as soon as they were sitting up. Same goes with the hanging stuff.
Monitor - I never had video so I am not a good one to ask.
Activities - Try playing in shaving cream/ whipped cream and work on letters. I would not do this in his high chair as it might lead him to pushing off his food... Do rhythmic beats with pots and pans to music. I need to write all the things I did with my kids and not bog down your blog.
I hope you have a wonderful trip! Sounds like fun. Wish I was heading South!
Hi Julie,
ReplyDeleteI just got back from my mini vacation and saw your questions. Looks like you got lots of great advice! You know we LOVE our video monitor for the same reason you're avoiding it- I'm a paranoid mom too (and Maddy is a very noisey baby!) I no longer wonder what the squawking is all about, debating whether I should go look or not, decide to finally peak only to have Maddy spot me and then want to get out of the crib. We had regular and I will never go back. Now I can turn volume low, ignore the squawking and just glance to see what she's up to. There is NOTHING cuter than watching her practice walking, clapping, talking to her panda when she thinks no one is watching!!! I would miss it all!! Also, when she's crying and I see she's sitting I know she'll go back to sleep, if she's crying and standing I know she's done with crib time!
Car travel (we've done LOTS!)- what works BEST with Maddy is simply NOT sitting next to her and letting her be- she just chills out and looks out the window most of the time. When she does get bored I have her bag of toys within my reach so I can give her new toy when she's dropped one- we don't go fishing around for discarded toys. Books keep her entertained the longest (but she turns the pgs herself since I sit in front usually). Snack time: we put on her plastic pocket bib and put her puffs in it. That keeps her busy for awhile! Singing baby songs also quiets her down although I get tired of that quick!
Plane travel (we've done lots!)- skip the big meals and do LOTS of finger snacks instead! Keeps Maddy busy longer. Quiet toys like books- flap books hold her interest the longest! and the one thing we NEVER fly without now- laptop or video Ipod with Baby Einstein on. We don't even bother with sound- she just stares like a zombie. Not something we would do at home but great on a plane! Blanket on floor for layover, and a good view. Maddy is entertained by the activity around her. Now that she's older anything with buckles keeps her busy- car seat, stroller... who needs toys?
Crib- we lowered as soon as she could sit and again when she could stand.
Swing- mommy's group nurse says it's unsafe once they can sit up on their ow. Exersaucer- I still put maddy in it when I take the dogs out.
bath- she has taken reg baths since she could sit up and has fun
detergent- switched to reg at 1 month old, no issues.
Developmental activities: you're doing so many classes with him it's awesome! Different settings at home is great for play- let him explore and go through things. Change of scenery always seems to cure boredom here. sensory activities: introduce hot cold, textures, smells...
Have tons of fun on your trip and take LOTS of pictures!! J is one cute kid, you're doing an awesome job!