Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Peabody Essex Museum

Yesterday we visited Salem and the Peabody Essex Museum with Pat, Keri and Brit. We also had a lovely lunch with Pilar at Salem Beerworks. The day out was a much needed treat for Mommy and J. It was great to see friends, and just get out of the house. It was also gorgeous outside! I can't tell you how liberating it felt to park the car and walk the stroller through the streets of Salem. It only rained for 4 days, but boy was it a long 4 days!
J is starting to be at the end of his rope with Museums. He did generally well, but did have a few minor freak-outs. I hope he can hold it in for a few more weeks, because we have the Portland Museum of Art tomorrow, and I hope the Smithsonian on our ride home from HHI. It was very fun to hang out with Brit, though I made sure she was away from J. We are all recovered, but J still has snot (I anticipate the snot to remain for the next 3-4 weeks, if this is anything like the last colds he has had), so I did not want to get her sick. Pat touched J once and I immediately sprayed him down with disinfectant stuff, like crazy!
It was fun to see Brit out and about, though she slept most of the time. I can't even remember those days! I don't think I got out enough when he was that little, I was tied to the pump the whole time. I just went for walks around my neighborhood or stayed at the lake. Kudos to Pat and Keri for venturing out! I need to take notes for the next kiddo...if there is one...
The PEM was a great Museum to bring the kids, they were thrilled to see the little guy! It was very empty (sad for them, good for us!). And, I can't tell you enough about their collection. They are not just another art museum, they have an amazing collection of maritime art, and a wonderful history. A special thanks to my old buddy from Trustees' days, George Putnam, for his great wing there, beautiful! (I am sure he probably would not remember me, eh, who can forget my laugh?)... Parking in Salem is EXPENSIVE! But, the lot is just a short and beautiful walk to the Museum, with lots of fun shops on the way. The Museum has an excellent gift shop (not cheap though). Great restrooms, and offers elevators in good locations so you and your stroller can get around with ease. The best thing about PEM though is there "gathering spaces" - they have couches with books and coffee tables set up randomly in the galleries to encourage loitering and socializing. I love it! They had a cute little restaurant as well. If you want to see the Yin Tu Tang house, which is a big draw, but you need to plan ahead and get tickets ahead of time - now strollers allowed in there but otherwise strollers allowed everywhere else. The East India Trade Room is a no-miss. They also have a really cool wood statue from Hawaii which J was a big fan of!


To Maine tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pictures of Keri and Brit! Pat is remiss in his Facebook updates :-) How is she doing? Are you able to give lots of good advice now that you are the experienced mom? If you think J is more of a handful now, just wait until he's crawling. Cameron hated being in her stroller for long periods of time (still does).

    ReplyDelete