Monday, March 7, 2011

Babymoon

This past weekend we went on a Babymoon in Portland, Maine (not to be confused with Portsmouth, NH). It was wonderful. We went with Declan's parents, who are also expecting #2 in the coming weeks. Nana and Pa came Friday afternoon and watched Joel Andrew, and the dogs all weekend. Joel Andrew had a blast with Nana and Pa - showing them his new speaking skills and such. We hope Nana and Pa had fun too - since we would like them to do this again!!! Since Joel Andrew is the only grandchild on both sides, we like the fact that we have four eager to watch grandparents. I wonder if this will change with Deuce in the picture...
So, we met Declan's parents at our hotel, the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, ME. A GORGEOUS place to stay. Really 5 star treatment, our room was huge and on two levels with a jacuzzi tub. We had a porch overlooking the ocean - though not panoramic views to my husband's dismay. They welcomed us with a marshmallow covered in chocolate. Yum. The only bummer, the hotel was pet friendly and we were right next to two pet friendly rooms. I did complain when the dogs barked. (What do they expect? I left my dogs at home for a reason!).
We spent a lot of money, on food. Friday night we went to Fore Street in Portland. This is very well-known for being the place to eat, fresh local ingredients, a menu that changes daily and an open kitchen concept. Brian was a little dismayed at the menu but he made it through. Lauren and I savored our salads, entrees and desserts. The boys seemed to want to make up for us not drinking though, and going out to dinner with two men when you are pregnant is a lot like going out to dinner with a toddler. The wives had to ask them to keep their voices down, and one husband, guess who's, spilled things at the table and dropped utensils. I thought I was getting away from toddlers this weekend?
Lauren and I relaxed without the toddler-men on Saturday morning at the spa in the hotel. Beautiful space! Sometimes you are disappointed with the spa space, but not here. I had a wonderful massage, and then a foot soak thing. We walked around Old Port all afternoon and made some purchases, and then had another expensive dinner with toddler-men in the hotel Saturday night. Lobster, yum.

Sunday we were off and sad to be missing out luxury accommodations. I have vowed that we will go back though, just an hour from our house but a wonderful getaway. Too bad the prices quadruple in the summer! Sunday afternoon was spent in Freeport - and yes, more purchases were made. It is a good thing this is our last Babymoon ever, because it was a doozie on the checkbook.

Good times were had by all. But am I rested enough to not have this again for many years? To deliver #2 and have 2 under 2? No way...

1 comment: