Touch the Art: Museum Art Books
Have I told you about these before? Joel Andrew is obsessed with them. I found one or two when I was at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Chicago, and thought they would be a cute buy. I am a former art history major, so it was a cute connection. Did I expect him to love them so much? Before he was 1 we would read one every night, he loved to touch and feel the different things. After turning one he wanted to flip through the pages himself, which caused some book damage and made me put them away. I just recently pulled them out again, and we are back at them. Right away he took the books from me. He sits in his big orange chair with all of the books around him (of course I had to buy every last one) and goes through the pages one by one. He is a big fan. The colors, the touch part, not so much the text though. I highly suggest getting one, for your little guy, or as a unique baby shower gift. Tickle Tut’s Toes was obviously our favorite. Though I think the little ladies might really like Count Monet’s Lilies. Here he is pointing at the photos on the back cover.
Bubbles
This is for babies young and old. Bubbles are a huge hit. They first started as a hit with Joel Andrew when he was an infant. We went to a Gymboree class - and I was shocked at how much he was into them. Their catch phrase is that they are really good for "eye tracking" at such a young age. When they grow up I think they are good for language development. Now at Gymboree when you pull out the bubbles all the kids say "BUBBLES!" We sing a song, bubbles way up high, and they point. Bubble in your hair and we point, and they all point too. It can take any boring space and make it more fun with minimal mess and not too much to carry. A great thing to have in your purse for long waits somewhere (we went bubble crazy while waiting at a recent Dr. appt). See him at four months old loving the bubble below.
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
Everyone has a different debate or story about how much TV, if any, your child should watch. I am not about to start that game on this blog. I let my son watch TV. Not a ton, but I actually think it is good for him. Just my opinion here. But he is so busy, and after a day of Gymboree, going to the park, shopping, playing, craft time, etc. - he could use a few minutes to sit and be comotose. Husband has put the Clubhouse on for him from a very early age. The colors, shapes and characters intrigued him, but did not keep him totally entertained. He would dance during the opening song, the Toodles song and the closing "Hot Dog" or Mouska-dance song (depending on which season you are watching), but that was it. Only now is he paying attention to the in-between. And, the in-between is not so bad. They count, they talk about inside vs, outside; middle, left and right; go through shapes, all those sorts of basics. Some days I am perplexed with their thinking - a shape sticker will not fix the hole in the hot air balloon, Mickey - but mostly I am ok with it. It is not too terribly annoying. He loves it and will not watch anything else. The best part, he knew all the characters already when we went to Disney World this past January. And, he now knows all of their names. Nothing is cuter than a little boy saying "Donald." I know, we are brainwashing him early. But hey, his parents are brainwashed too, so why not him?
Train Tables
You will now find us on the weekends, or when we have an hour or two to burn and it is too cold to play outside, at some of the local stores. Mom pretends to shop while Joel Andrew has a ball with the train table. Here is a shout out to Baby Go Round in Hampton Falls, the local Ace hardware in Hampton Falls (they hands-down have the best one) and Barnes and Noble. These places usually win out as I do inevitably end up buying something. But they have totally figured out my game. The ACE hardware people have even told me how to make one... Either as a ploy to sell me some more things, or to get us out, not sure? But, I am told the best way to have one - and the ones at ACE and Barnes and Noble have are this - is to buy lots of track with bridges and such, and buy a table. Then use Gorilla Glue and glue down the track for good. This would be especially helpful as my little man can be very destructive. I have set Grumpy on this task, and have also been offered some train tracks from my boss - so sounds like the little man will soon enough have one of his very own. We will only use a little bit of track, so when the little guy is older he will be able to make his own tracks around his bedroom someday. This one is from Barnes and Noble.
Look how sad Declan is in this picture to not have one? Just kidding, Declan has one, not sure why it isn't in this shot... But I learned this from Kim and Maddy. The portable high chair is excellent. It folds up and we keep it in the car at all times. We have impromptu picnics in the park, or as in the case above, Castle Hill last summer. They are contained safely during mealtime and able to eat. Not to mention, the convienence of going to a friends house for a play date and always having it with you. It works for Sunday River and Sebago as well. They are cheap and will grow with your kiddo. Since our regular high chair is getting to be a tight squeeze for the guy, we may switch to this full time on a kitchen chair as a booster as well soon.
Hiking Back Pack
As you can see here, we got great use out of this on our trip to Montana. It was a gift from my boss and co-workers at The Trustees of Reservations. Quite appropriate a land conservation organization buying me a hiking backpack, but it serves more purposes than just hiking at Yellowstone Park - let me tell you. For the beach I wear it, stick the little dude in it and have both arms free to carry things down to our spot. Apple picking it came in quite handy. My boss notes she wore hers whenever they went somewhere for a festival or big crowds. The kiddos love to take in the crowds, and are not running away from you. Plus, what a work out!
Cozy Coup
Shhhh! Don't tell Joel Andrew, but Deuce has bought him this as a first brother-to-brother present. Isn't it amazing, my second son is so smart that he already thought to buy his brother a present from the womb? But seriously, these things are beloved by all toddlers. We went to a neighbor's 1st birthday party and Joel Andrew did not get out of their Cozy Coup the entire time. Something about the colors? The Flintstone way of movement? The cup holder for you, and your friend's sippy? I am not sure, but he loves it. We will soon be one of those houses, with a Cozy Coup consistently parked in the driveway, colors fading with time as the children age.
What are your favs?
No comments:
Post a Comment