It is becoming more and more clear to me that Joel Andrew is my easy kid. Want him to sleep through the night - cry it out and it is done. Want him to get rid of the binks? Just ask him to, he will throw them away for you. Don't want him to climb out of the crib? Just tell him it is not allowed. He does what he is told. Unless he has the evil eye and he purposely does the opposite of what he is told - but I can see that coming from a mile away so generally can put the kibosh on it.
Even if Joel does not like it, even if he whines a bit, as long as you explain why - he is in. Like tonight, I told him he can eat his peppers in his chair while watching Shrek. But he cannot bring them into the bed (in our downstairs guest/play/tv room). He freaked out. But after I explained "Ama and Grumpy and Nana and Pa sleep in the bed, and they do not want food in their bed." He totally got it. Either that or using the grandparent name card gets him.
So, how did it go, you ask? Totally amazing. It was only 1 night and morning, and we may be in for it tonight and tomorrow (and into the future). But the kid was exhausted and went to bed no problem. This morning he played in his crib/bed for 20 minutes before I went and got him. I am not sure he knows he can get out yet...
I will save my worry for when no-pay-attention-to-any-rules,-books,-advice Baby James is moving into the toddler bed, which will be a ton sooner because I am sure that kid is going to climb out the second he figures out how to - which is in a few weeks...
Cameron is (mostly) the same way. Just thank your lucky stars!!
ReplyDelete