Saturday, November 12, 2011

To Preschool, or Not To Preschool

Joel Andrew is in "school" three days a week now. We put him in when I was consulting, and kept him in through the birth and first few months of Baby James. Then we kept him in because it looked like I would be going back to work for a little bit. Now it does not look like I am going back to work, so what to do? Do we take him out? (I only say that half-heartedly, I love my days with just Baby James). But pretty soon is the preschool age...
Should we look for a more "formal" preschool program that is less-like daycare? Friends of mine who have been at home with their kids the whole time are all about looking for preschool now, which is why I bring it up. Should I look for a preschool? Or, do we have something good going? Joel likes it there, he seems to be doing well. We like the people, it is affordable. Hey, I may even put Baby James in there two days a week after he turns 1. One day with all of us, one day to myself, one day to Joel Andrew, and two days a week with Baby James. Sounds like stay at home mommy heaven to me.
I know, a little over the top. Maybe we should look for preschools? Those who have researched, what should I look for? I liked the idea of Montessori - and then a teacher friend almost had a heart attack and told me "montessori kids are the worst." Hmmm. I don't know!
Does it really matter now anyway? I think preschool is for early socialization, and Joel Andrew is already getting that... Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. If Joel Andrew is happy and it's affordable why change? There will be enough change in his life to come :-) But you can also ask the daycare what they do for more formal cirriculum. Mine has one and Cameron is already learning her letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could afford Montessori I'd do that program (a lot about self-reliance which is good in my book). It is expensive though and only SAHMs could make it work (not many programs go beyond 3:30 pm). That might mean less "diversity" for you in terms of friends but with others in your situation. Don't abandon working - I know you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete