Monday, November 14, 2011

New England Aquarium - Boston Fun

Today we went to the New England Aquarium (and by the way, this is a multi-post day, lots going on lately, see below for more family fun). It was a last minute decision to go - as I had waivered a ton about it, but I decided, 64 degrees in November, let's take advantage.

Last Monday we went to the Franklin Park Zoo. I like to do these big trips on the days I have both kids because of the quiet car time, the fact that it eats up a lot of the day, and also because it is interesting for all of us and just nice to get out. Also, lots of anticipation of snowed in days in January, so I feel we should get out while we can. A quick look at the costs of all these days and pretty soon my husband is going to be wanting to put both kids in daycare to save money...

The days don't always go so well, which is why you do not see a post of the Franklin Park Zoo. I will not go into it, it was not the Zoo's fault. It was a lovely day at the Zoo (Monday's in November are the best, and that baby Gorilla was awesome). It was just a bad day for all involved. But, we decided to try again today. And, I am glad we did.
The Aquarium angers me. It is SOOOO Expensive. It is smelly. It is tiny. It should be AWESOME! We live in New England! And yet, all other city's aquariums it seems are awesome. Politically speaking they wasted a ton of money on an Imax which no one goes to - a furniture store has an Imax. Let's stick to wowing us with the fish. Anyway. I became a member last year because I thought we would go there all the time. We did try to go a few times, not enough to justify the membership and each time we were there is was a crowded mess. We went mid-week! But school group after school group took up the place. It would take a good five minutes to wait to get to go up to a tank.

So, I braced myself for what to expect today. But, the place was empty. We actually got to go into the touch tank and Jellies rooms - which you are normally not allowed in with a stroller. I was told - Mondays are so empty we always allow strollers. Wow! Good tip (and thus I share it with you). Joel Andrew wanted nothing to do with touching the Rays, I have a feeling that James Morris might be a little more bold when he gets older.

We did have a great time, seeing the sea turtles was a real highlight for Joel Andrew. He also loved looking at the penguins. For the sea lion area, the ramp and seating configuration were more interesting to him then the animals - and there was nothing I could do to get him interested in any of the fish tanks except for the massive center one. He kept saying: "Mommy, let's see something else." With that attitude, we blew through the place in 30 minutes... I managed to feed Baby James the bottle while Joel hung out in the small toddler play room, and then we were done. He enjoyed it and all, but it is dark, and I think all the zoo action I have been giving him with large animals has spoiled him... He would not even say hi to Dory!
So, we bailed. I got suckered into buying things at the gift shop - and then we needed to find lunch. Going to the street, I realized we are almost at Quincy Hall - so we went. And, Mommy got what she wanted (Indian food), and Joel got what he wanted (chicken fingers). We split a fruit cup. It was magical. We walked back to the Rose Kennedy Greenway and made an impromptu picnic right there. It is the BEST PLACE in the city to take a toddler for a picnic. Joel stayed on the grass, ate his lunch, and watched all the trucks, busses, trolleys, cars, motorcycles, biked, doggies, etc. walking by. Hours of entertainment. Baby James enjoyed getting out of his carriage, and the fresh air.
A quick walk down the pier to see the boats, and then we were back in the car where both boys slept the ride home. Delight! Mommy drove around a ton to let them have good naps... Not good for the environment, but good for Mommy's sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment