Friday, November 4, 2011

The Gymboree Dilema

As you know, I have been bringing Joel Andrew for a very long time to Gymboree. I decided that I needed to do the same for Baby James so I signed him up for classes too. On the days Joel Andrew is at daycare, I take Baby James, it is our bonding time. He loves the bubbles and parachute - but I love the fact that it forces me to pay attention and have fun with him. Something I have a hard time doing when there is errands, or his brother around.

Joel Andrew goes on Friday, and so far it has worked out that I wear Baby James in a bjorn. But, Baby James is getting bigger and I am not sure how much longer I can do this. So, I found out there are family classes, for both siblings. Great so that I can go with the both of them, but bad as my one to one attention is gone. Also gone, the age appropriate gearing of the "lessons."
Well, I thought, what does Joel really need anymore other than a chance to get out and do something new, hang out with friends? That is what this is... how much is he really learning? But that is wrong, he is just getting to the point where the classes can really help him to learn and be creative. So, that is a bummer.

Also a bummer? Let's say I went to family classes. I would only get one family class a week, and no more Baby James and me time. Once you are subscribed to the family class, that is your tuition for both kids. So, we go from two classes tailored to their learning ability, to one. Not sure if that is worth the almost $100 a month.

Do I remove Joel Andrew and just take James so we can still have 1:1 time? Do I continue to pay and do the family class? I wish we had family closer so that someone could watch James while I took Joel Andrew...

1 comment:

  1. You really need to find a couple of good babysitters so you can keep doing the 1:1 time with James. SitterCity is good and I'm sure there are other sites. I have trouble concentrating on Cameron for long periods of time so I feel your pain about adding another kid into the mix. Also, I brought Cameron to Story Hour at my library on Saturday and she loved it. 30 minutes and ours has it almost every day so you can do weekdays too. So maybe check that out in your area?

    ReplyDelete