Friday, April 6, 2012
Nature
So, there is nature all around us. I actually work for a land conservation organization so I deal with nature constantly. There is even nature, in the form of squash bugs, in my office. Sometimes when I have to go for a hike, for work, I come back to the office with ticks. There are chickens a few hundred feet from my office window, and gardens in bloom with frogs and such. Nature is everywhere. This is new for me. I didn't grow up in the city, but I grew up in a pretty suburban area. The extent of nature was the squirrels that were hit by cars. And, the occasional bear that got out from bear mountain. Yep, in my backyard, with snipers ready to tranquilize the bear. But that is a story for another time.
Anyway, I just wanted to drive home the point that I have never really been the one to pick a bug up and examine it. I hear from the ladies in my book club, how their children eagerly dig up worms - and how they love how their kids are exploring. I just think "ick, how do you clean their clothes of mud?" So, I have been trying to be a little bit better about this. I mean, I am a Mom of two boys, they need to dig for worms, it is part of their DNA. But, I maybe a little too late at least for Joel Andrew.
Yesterday we went to the dock. We had a net to catch crabs and we were going to explore. We got a few little blue crabs, and surprising myself, I actually held the little guys. But when demonstrating to Joel Andrew the crab, he ran away screaming. He does not want to hold the crab, throw it back in the water Mommy. I am too late! I ruined him! My nancy-pants boy!
Later on, we went to go check the crab trap again, but this time with James. When we pulled up the trap seemingly hundreds of snails came up with it, and James was in heaven. He crawled right across the dock, picked up a snail and went to put it right in his mouth. Either there is my adventurous explorer, or he was just thinking it was escargot....
Either way, I am going to make an effort and try to help them explore a little more. No big deal if they get a little dirty, things can be washed. At the very least - we need to do this for my work. Can you imagine when I bring Joel Andrew to the farm and my son goes running screaming from the cows?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Julie,
ReplyDeleteDecided to check in on your blog today... I love it. You and the boys are welcome to come out in the marsh with me anytime. We'll have Joel holding eels in no time. (and I wouldn't be worried about him not holding blue claw crabs - I used to take school groups out of much older kids and it was rare to find kids happy to hold them. they do have a mean pinch.)
Enjoy Hilton Head!
Alyson