Saturday, October 27, 2012
Reflection
Some thoughts about our recent trip to Disney World:
Adults in Large Strollers: You know who you are. (yes, I am normally a calm and lovely blogger, but this particularly annoys my husband and I). I am a larger than normal person, yes - but you know what, I walk places. There are WAY too many people renting adult strollers in these parks these days. My grandparents hobbled around the park, and so should yours - and so should I. This is ridiculous people. Clearly, if you have a medical issue and you need assistance, please use a wheelchair. But a motorized scooter, designed to run over my 3 year old child or me if we step out of line, you kidding people? I mean, really?! WALK! Joel Husband and I will be selling t-shirts: "I am fat and/or old, and I am walking" for our next disney trip, as this is now seen as an anomaly.
Now that that rant is over... I apologize to my readers. I do not mean to offend anyone. In my defense, I was yelled at by a lady on a motorized stroller whose arms had more rolls than the sags in my curtains. I by accident stepped in front of her and immediately apologized but was yet berated by her in front of my child. I went into full on Chepak (mother's side of the family) mode at that point if you will and the niceties left, and thus remains the anger in this blog as well.
Other than that, positive(ish) observations!:
Deluxe Meal Plan a Bad Plan: If you get the deluxe meal plan every time you come to Disney, you will eventually have arms with rolls and be riding a cart around. I don't know how many times I can blog about this, and yet still do it - but the deluxe meal plan is TOO MUCH and is particularly evil for those who need to finish all food offered them (a Hall family disease). I have gained 10 pounds, at least - we will find out more tomorrow. The truth is, one good meal and one quick service meal and one snack a day should do you and I will strive for that our next vacay. Then, you can always have one or two fancy dinners that require two points - like the luau or the contemporary, and just pay for them, it will still end up less than if you bought the deluxe, plus avoiding that weight gain will really be priceless too!
Never Judge other Parents: Before I had children I judged. I would see the kid tantruming in the theme park and would wonder why the parent did not calm them. Why did the parent let them touch everything in sight? Why did the parent feed them only strawberries for breakfast? Even after having children I still judged, but I think after having my second, and now certainly, after having gone to Disney with a 3 year old - I will no longer judge. Parent taking a louder than normal tone for a seemingly miniscule offense: don't judge, they have all had a long day, things need to be nipped in the bud now. Parent letting their child cry in hysterics while video taping said tantrum and not doing anything to calm it: don't judge, they are just preserving this rite of passage, a critical moment actually, very important part of the Disney experience, for years to come. It is brilliant really. Parent ordering third drink at dinner while child is mindlessly watching a non-Disney cartoon on your iPad at the table - sounds like a party to me! All these lessons learned at this trip, I pass them onto you.
This is sounding pessimistic, and I do not mean it to. We had a great time. Epic really. I would live here if Joel Husband would let me. I planned it out at least for our retirement. He will drive the boat that goes to the hotels from the Magic Kingdom and I will play the part of the Fairy Godmother (she only makes appearances infrequently). We will spend the rest of our time walking, eating and drinking our way around Epcot. I love it here, always have and always will.
The bottom line most learned thing from our trip: We need to have more and more of them. Every person says it - time goes by really quickly, and now that I have gone back to work I totally believe it. Time flies and having the whole week with eachother has been amazing (except we missed James of course!). But a whole week, of driving each other nuts, of having tons of fun, of swimming, trying new things, chatting, enjoying and being. It was a great time and I will schedule it again and again and love it again and again. I know we could have a week in Maine, or a week anywhere else, but this was a week to ourselves, with something new for all and something old for some to share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment