Sunday, October 7, 2012

Wife-Carrying Competition


This weekend we went up to Sunday River, it is tradition that on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend there is the North American Wife Carrying competition.  This is no joke people, crazies flew in all the way from Finland to win this year.  As you may guess, we did not participate, we just watch.


It is a good time because the competition takes place right under our condo.  So, you can just sit up there with your bloody mary and watch it all take place.  It is also peak for leaves usually, so it is just a beautiful view of the mountain.  Lots of additional festivities take place, including a tent with beer and a roped off area (gotta love Maine, if you went to college in this state you would extra-appreciate this!), a craft fair, live music, a wood carving show, horse rides, scenic tours up the top of the mountain, all sorts of food and ski sales.


Of course we walked the craft fair, and I got a nice toy box for the kiddos, as well as an awesome coat rack, made out of the tips of skis.  Pretty psyched for that one.  Otherwise, the crafts were kind of bleak.  Actually, sadly a ton less than in years past...  But, it seems as though they made up for it in the entertainment and activity category.  Even Auntie Jennie made it on the stage to sing for the live event.


The gondola ride to the top was the best!  The boys were too little to walk down, but maybe we will in a few years.  At the top of the mountain there was an open bar, which Joel Husband and I gladly partook of...  We were those people, chasing after a toddler and a preschooler, while holding glasses of wine and captain and coke.  I was worried that child services might take me away, and then I spotted about 50 other parents doing the same thing.  Again, I love Maine.


We all had nice bonding time.  Mommy even got a nap, and the Joels went to the pool.  Auntie Jennie and Mommy got to go shopping too, and I now am the proud owner of a nice "I love Apres" shirt.  Sadly, while walking out with my purchase I saw someone else that was wearing a shirt that said: "First Chair. Last Call."  Damn.  I need that one.  Joel Husband said I should get one that says: "First Chair.  3 hour nap.  Last call." He is probably right.


Our annual fun in the fall weekend was a hit!  We didn't make it last year, I am guessing because of craziness with the two boys, but we will make it again next year for sure!







No comments:

Post a Comment