Monday, October 8, 2012

Topsfield Fair, Year 2


So, I thought, lets pick something ridiculous.  Something that would be horrible, terrible, stressful, and bring out the worst in me, and lets do it with the boys on Columbus Day.  This way I would be BEGGING to go back to work on Monday.  Pleading.  I would even wear close to sweatpants on our outing so that I would want to get dressed up for work.  I would even eat more crap so that I would want to eat healthy.  Well, guess what happened?  We had an awesome day.  So awesome. I am in tears that I have to go to work tomorrow, and put my adorable awesome kids in daycare.  So, so sad.


We went to the Topsfield Fair, on Columbus Day, probably just as crazy as a weekend, but we were there with Auntie Lauren - and a good time was had by all!  We managed to stay one step ahead of the crazy, crazy crowds, that is until the end and the kiddo rides.  But even then, we found a few rides without a line and although this Mommy may have thrown a tantrum while waiting, none of the kids did, a plus there!


We of course saw all the regulars, said hi to the chickens in the poultry tent (which is disappointingly not as scary for Joel Andrew this year as last year - in fact it was more scary for Mommy and Auntie Lauren as when Auntie Lauren tried to feed the goose some food, the goose immediately took the whole cup which was hysterical and very scary at the same time, Joel Andrew still talks about it).

We ate bad for us food which makes it three days in a row for me, and officially back up the 6 pounds I recently lost in anticipation of our Disney Trip...  Oops.  But, I mean come on, you are at a fair.  Can you imagine working the fair?  They must gain like 800 pounds.  It isn't like the food just seems good and really tastes bad.  Every single thing I have had at the fair has been delicious.  Down to the 80 pound whoopie pie I bought.  Yep, it was good.


The boys tried hoola-hooping, we saw the pigs, we saw the horse show (when they are older I am guessing we can kill some real time in one of these shows).  The littles got out and about for a little bit, and the Mommies had some good quality time, though we didn't really chat about much of substance, we had a good time!


Then, the best thing ever happened.  Last year when I came to the fair alone, with a three month old and a two year old, I could not think of me at all.  I walked by the piergoi tent ten times vowing to come back.  There was no time last year, with the feeding that need to happen in discrete places, the diapering, the everything.  This year, there was no way I was going to miss this.  Auntie Lauren was plotting her next snack move but I knew where I was going.  I B-lined it for the Piergoi tent.

Joel Andrew asked: "What is this Mommy?"  He can see the photos of the food and what was pictured was far from the red hot dogs and chicken fingers he has been used to from his recent, generous experience at fairs.  "The food of your heritage, your people" I replied, dead pan.  The people behind us in line laughed and it was on.

I remembered some Russian from my days abroad, and I looked at the vendors.  They were legit, for a few reasons.  First, it was an older couple, and the woman had short grayish hair and an apron.  Second, because the man had gray sweatpants on with the string tied in a perfect bow.  Call me terrible for stereotyping, but I could have been looking at my great-grandfather (a full 25 years before I was born - making the pierogi there).  The excitement mounted.


I quickly taught Joel Andrew to say Spa-Cee-Ba (our version of thank you in Russian) - and like an awesome child when the man handed us our food, Joel Andrew repeated.  I was so proud.  The man immediately started rattling back to us in Polish, and Joel Andrew and I were both at a loss.  Finally the man said: "don't you speak Russian?" To which I replied "Ya - Ne-Lou-blue Smet-tan-ou" - (I hate sour cream), and other gems I learned during my time in Russia.  He would laugh and the people behind me would beg for translation.  It was awesome.


Anyway, I walked over on cloud nine, I had two Polish plates stocked high with piergoi, glumpki, kielbasa, potato pancake - and I was done.  It was the best, end of birthday celebration meal I could have ever dreamed of, and it was capped off with an 8 pound whoopie pie.  I could not have asked for anything better.  I know what I am doing next year for my birthday.  (Auntie Lauren's and my's only complaint - where is the beer?)

The day got better, we rode some rides, we drove home in silence.  Baby James fell asleep in the car but then transferred to his crib for a nap that took 2-1/2 hours longer.  Joel Andrew and I watched Cinderella, and had puppet shows.  We did errands when everyone was awake, ate dinner, and had an EPIC dance party with Daddy in Baby James' room. Now I get to drink a glass of wine and watch some TV sitting on the DVR.  Do I really have to go to work tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect day! I don't blame you for not wanting to head back to the office.

    ReplyDelete