Tonight we went to get flu shots, and boy it was memorable. I will Tarantino it for you:
Scene - the car drive home from flu shots:
Joel Andrew, through sobs: "I.... waa-aa--nn--aa be a ggg-gg-gg-oo-dddd boy."
James, happy as can be: "I'm sorry Joelly."
Joel Andrew, stops sobbing: "Why are you sorry, James? You didn't give me the shot?"
James, jubilantly: "I'm sorry for party rockin' "
(Mommy and James laugh hysterically at Joel Andrew's expense)
And, scene.
The evening started out with an evening excursion to get our flu shots. I had made the mistake of telling Joel Andrew that this was what we are going to do. In the past, this worked well for him. A little preparation of what was about to happen set him up, and set him up to succeed. He loved to be in the know. Now I know to no longer do this...
We arrive at the Dr's office and he already starts with the whining. We get right in and he immediately reminds me that James needs to go first. Which is fine, as I look over to James happily playing with books in the corner (I am sure he will be sick in 3 days). The nurse gives us an option, mist or shot. The one catch I know is they both need to get the same thing. The other catch is that James needs to know to snort it up real good if it is the mist. I am not sure he knows this, but joy! Joel Andrew can do it first and James can watch and learn. Unfortunately, at this suggestion Joel Andrew freaks out. "You told me James would go first!" Fine, shots it is.
James sits on my lap, happy as can be. We take his shirt off, no problem. Joel Andrew is in hysterics two seats down. So loud I know the entire waiting room of people are hearing. James still sits fine. I point out the awesome electric yellow band aid James is going to get, and the kid smiles, as the needle is coming towards him. Shot happens, the kid doesn't even flinch. He smiles, and we all (the nurse, me and James) cheer loudly for this amazing triumph. Meanwhile, Joel Andrew is still wailing in the corner.
Joel Andrew's turn. I literally have to pick him up while he is kicking and screaming. He has NEVER done this before, never. Like full on kicking. He kicks the nurse who then tells me this happens once a night at least. I was mad at this point and exclaimed this doesn't happen to us. The nurse tells me we could try the mist. Part of me was like, oh yes, it would make him feel better and a larger part of me was like oh no, this kid is getting the shot. But, all of me decided that the snotting, screaming, crying, unreasonable kid could not get the mist at this point. Shot it is.
I literally held the kid down with two arms and one leg. Only one of his legs remained free, and I will have bruises to prove it. The shot lasted 1 millisecond and he screamed and screamed. James, through this all, was "reading" a book in the corner.
When we left another nurse offered a sticker. I loudly and clearly noted that James was allowed two, Joel was allowed none. This of course did not go over well with Joel. As we were leaving I ran into a Mom from James' mommy group and made sure to point out that it was my oldest that was the nightmare. And then I told all of the freaked out kids in line that it doesn't hurt, Joel is just a big baby. Yes, I am a good Mom(?).
On the way home I asked Joel: "How come James got two stickers?"
Joel Andrew: "Because I cried."
(no, not really...)
Mommy: "No, he got two stickers because he took his shot, very nicely, without crying, and because he said thank you to the nurse. And, because he sat quietly while you were getting a shot. How come Joel did not get any stickers?"
Joel Andrew: "Because I cried."
Mommy: "Yes, and because you kicked Mommy, and you kicked the nurse, and because you scared all of the other children in the Drs office. Did you see any of the other children crying?"
Cue scene from above.
No comments:
Post a Comment