Yesterday I took James Morris for his 2-1/2 Dr.'s appointment. Can you believe he is only 2-1/2? At 95% he is as tall as most four year olds, weighs almost the same as his 4 year old brother, and he can say 15 word run-on sentences. He is a joy, a love, a cuddler. He throws a ball like a champ, loves his brother Joelly, (pronounced Cho- lee) more than anything, and has the makings of a comedian or an NFL MVP, not sure which. Maybe both.
He also has the attitude of a teenager sometimes. He is so much trouble - he flirts already. He knows how to blame his brother for something he did, already. He knows to push his brother when my back is turned- already, and then look innocent when I turn around to his brother's cries. He barely understands being in trouble - not because he doesn't get being in trouble but because he won't let you punish him. Go sit in the corner? Sure, I'll go sit there. And smile at you. And talk to you no matter how many times you tell me I am in trouble because I just won't let you be mad at me. And, the rare moment he knows he is in so much trouble he has to recognize it - he already tries to bat his eyelashes to get out of it. He is a smooth talker that kid, he always finds a way to melt your heart, so we keep him and love him. But are challenged at getting him to listen.
And, don't you ever, ever tell him he cannot do something that he really wants to do. Or else you will see epic tantrums. I mean EPIC. Joel Husband and I stand over him while he is lying on the ground sometimes and say: "good, now kick your feet, harder, more… Good…" I swear he understands sarcasm already as he just tantrums on and on. Then we walk away. Yet, the kid has staying power and could go for 10 minutes if food or nothing shiny comes along to distract him.
He is pretty smart, but insists he is three years old no matter how many times you ask him and tell him, he is just two. He can complete a puzzle, remember lyrics to songs, and will tell you stories about his friends at school. Adam is his best friend by the way.
The 2-1/2 Dr appointment is kind of silly, but I can see how it would be necessary for all kids. I am so thankful that I found it silly, because if we did not, it would mean that we would need to address something serious. They give you a questionnaire, and I get it. I know what they are looking for. They ask all sorts of behavioral questions in order to surmise that he is developing well mentally, as well as physically. To call out any early signs of concern. So, here I am ready to answer the questions - full well knowing he is on track emotionally, physically and mentally (in addition to my un-biased opinion no previous concern has been uttered by our numerous speech therapist friends, occupational therapist friends, his school, etc.). So, here I go, to answer the questions… Keep in mind all questions are circle one of these possible answers:
Always Occasionally Sometimes Never
1. Does your child throw tantrums lasting more than 10 minutes? (Maybe….)
2. Does your child listen and respond to direction? (No)
3. Does your child shove his face with food? (yes… all the time...)
4. Does your child hug and show affection? (Always)
5. Does your child hit? (ummm… yeah…)
There were more, just can't remember now. Can you see how I struggled to answer these questions honestly? Knowing full well the outcome the answer will bring is different than the intent of my actual truthful answer to the question..? It makes me wonder how we do judge behavior and what that means, and maybe quizzes like these are promoting the discovery of "abnormalities" in kids so young. He is 2-1/2, yes he throws tantrums, yes he clings to me, yes he ignores me. He is 2-1/2. Perhaps I am delusional and he does have an issue? But as far as I can tell the only issue is if we do not channel his energies towards good we may have a con-man for a child… Enough of my deep thoughts for the day!
Happy 2-1/2 there guy. I was not organized to say so on the actual day, did not bake you a 1/2 birthday cake, but I love you and always will, just channel that energy for good please.
No comments:
Post a Comment