Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Trying New Things & Lessons Learned: Disney 2013



Today we tried new things.  It has hit us that we have 28 years left going to Disney (we are now Vacation Club members) – so we need to sprinkle a little new into each vacation so that ever third trip we can do a “favorite hits” and not have the obligation of trying new which Joel Husband and I can fear here.




Before I get into some good tips and lessons learned and funny family anecdotes for the three of you reading, I will tell you that there is a stereotype of people who are DVC members, and Joel Husband and I love them, chat with them frequently and may become them.  I almost spent $95 on a Dooney and Burke wallet tonight.  90% of my wardrobe this trip is a Disney character t-shirt (which I spice up with a scarf and fun jewelry, thanks Jennie!) – do you know they make Mickey scarfs now?  We speak our own language.  We know all the tricks to getting Fast Passes and we blog a lot.  It is creepy.  I am a creepy Disney person. I love it.




Ok.  To tips.  First things first, we went to Animal Kingdom this morning, it was our second and last time there this trip.  Not to beat a dead horse – or see a live giraffe – but I will tell you that you need to go on extra magical morning hours and go straight to the Safari.  Once again we walked on and once again we saw every animal.  At one point we were backed up because the rhinos were crossing the road and we were stopped right next to a giraffe eating his breakfast on the right, and a bunch of deer like funny things eating in tall grasses on the left.  It was awesome.



Dinoland has the best playground and is good for getting energy out.  Then we were off to Camp Minnie Mickey to see some characters and go to the Festival of the Lion King.  Many, many DVC people and otherwise tourists have told us this is their favorite.  We have never gone, but we are trying new things…  So we went, hoards of people waited 45 minutes to get good seats for this 30-minute show. I was expecting the best thing I have ever seen. It was very, very good.  I would go, I would Fast Pass it next time, and I would like it again.  The boys loved it but as we didn’t really rush to get good seats there was some uncomfortable maneuvering to get the boys to be able to see the show, and Joel Husband had to kill the person in front of us’s magic by asking them to take their ears off during the show.  That should probably be on the announcements: No smoking, no flash photography, remove your ears.  It was pretty awesome though, live singers, amazing dancers, there was fire.  I just don’t want to build it up for others the way it was built up for us, nothing can match that!


So, we then had “lost time.”  That time when the crowd starts to present itself, everything has a wait, the kids are hungry but lunch is too close to get a snack but too far to listen to them whine until then… We decided to torture everyone and do two things:  1.  We went to A Bug’s Life’s It’s Tough to be a Bug.  I have said before and I should SAY AGAIN IN ALL CAPS – do not bring your small, sensitive child here.  This is funny, usually no wait, cleaver, potential to learn thing – but most of all, TERRIFYING.  The way the show is done, adults would not even bat an eyelash, but look at it from a child’s perspective and you might have nightmares for months.  As previously done, Joel Andrew cried and cried.  James, whole different reaction.  Priceless, and I have never laughed so hard in my life.  Stunned terror combined with speechless reaction.  Laying back in fear, with no sound whatsoever.  When I asked him if he wanted to cuddle with me or leave, he would just wordlessly push me away and stare in pure terror at the screen. He was absorbed, terrified and loving it?  Not sure, but he made it through the whole show and at the end high fived me.  This kid is terrifying.



We then went to #2.  Lesson to be learned.  Do not dress your kids up, then wait in line for a long time to take a picture with characters assuming they will be wearing something that matches your children’s clothing.  Who would assume that in November in Animal Kingdom Minnie and Mickey would be wearing safari suits?  Clearly I did.  My boys were ready to be twins with them in the cutest picture of all time (James and I talked for hours about this one and he promised me he would hug Mickey this time).  So, we wait in line.  We get ready.  Then, we see Minnie and Mickey in 1980’s holiday ski sweaters. What, what, what?  Didn’t get that memo…  But still got a cute shot. 



Next, the next thing we have really never done – booked in pool time.  We are staying at the Beach Club Resort, and it has the best pool of all time.  We are normally so busy in the parks, eating, that we do not get to the pool or enjoy any of those amenities.  When we leave we always say that next time we will enjoy them more. This time we finally have.  Tomorrow morning, all morning is pool morning.  Can’t wait.

We also ate at Beaches and Cream, which has the best burger hands down I have eaten in many, many years.  I am swearing off burgers until the next time we eat here.  So good.  They also have “The Kitchen Sink” which many people ordered while we were there which is like the Vermonster…  We will order that when I have teenage boys, and when Uncle Jeremy is with us too.




Evening at Hollywood Studios.  The Disney Junior show is a must, but sitting on the floor for 40 minutes really reminds you that you are no longer 10 years old.  Toy Story Mania with a Fast Pass (the wait was 65 minutes, which is the lowest I have ever seen it and to put this into perspective the next longest wait was 10 minutes at Tower of Terror or Rockin’ Rollercoaster).  Joel Andrew is getting good at this ride and had over 30,000 points.  Which is a big deal! 




We clearly met Woody and Buzz and James is warming up to the characters which is nice.  We are hopeful for our last character meal.  The Osborne Family lights spectacle was awesome.  Lots of holiday light decorations – though I was bummed I forgot my Mickey ears hat.

Dinner at Primetime 50s which is a perennial favorite.  I got a Clean Plate Club sticker!




So, the thing that we learned this trip and I will carry with us as an on the bright side since the kids will be going into school and it looks like we may not make it back in non-popular times is:  That if you go during a non-popular time, sure, you can get on the rides with little-no wait, but the parks do compensate for the low attendance.  There are less snack stands open, they take longer at the restaurants, and they close ALL of the parks by 9.  We have our set-up nicely so that we are out of the park at the height of day, 11-4.  We eat a fantastic lunch, take a nap, go to the pool, etc.  Then we go back.  But, by the time we get back the parks are about to close again on this schedule, since they close by 9 because there are so little crowds.  And, when I say they close by 9, I mean really do.  Illuminations starts at 9 and there is no way you can buy a beer or a drink during the program, the houses are all closed up by the time the lights are dimmed.  It has been slightly sad but I guess has worked out excellently for our family considering how old they are.  In the future, if we can continue to work the Fast Pass thing, and Magic Hour thing, I may not be too afraid of high season as that will also mean more hours in the day to play with.





And that is all from Orlando today.  Tomorrow is even more fun.  2 new restaurants, an entire morning at the pool, and Peter Pan (AGAIN!)





1 comment: