Dear Mrs. Middleton,
It's been almost two weeks and I thought I would finally check-in in regards to Joel Andrew in your class. Our little guy started off Kindergarten feeling a bit under the weather. This week he has rebound in full force and comes home - cannot stop talking, daily. Thank you for making this transition for him a smooth one. He loves everything about Kindergarten!
I'm not sure if all the parents have written you yet, and I am the last one. I'm not sure if this is even appropriate however so much of my son's life is now in your classroom and I think two weeks of not having that quick check-in at the end of the day like we had with Daycare has gotten to me, so I thought I would just share some small tidbits and open the door for you to let me know if he is being snarky!
Also, I should let you know this experience has been fun, kind of like detective work. I have had to put on my creative hat in order to get info. out of him like nothing before. Putting my fundraising and management skills to the test. So, here is what I have gleamed thus far:
There is a color code system. Green is you are doing good. Yellow means no recess. Red means you go to the Principal. When asked if just he heard this conversation, or if this was shared with the entire class he noted - everyone heard it. But, he had so much detail, so many particulars about colors, the Principal's name, made me think that this was a conversation just meant for him. Please clarify. Joel Andrew is a delight and generally a rule follower, but he can and will lie his pants off.
Whatever the cinnamon things are that are at snack on Wednesdays are his new favorite things on earth. I hope he eats at lunch. My boys eat a ton. Yesterday he came home and ate 15 chicken nuggets. I wonder if this is because of all the energy expelled, or if it is because he does not eat in school because he can't focus on it.
He is having pre-marital issues with his best friend and future wife Laurel. His future mother-in-law and I talked this over yesterday. It is very hard for us you know. We have plans! (plus, how could we watch our little guys - who have been like peas and carrots - get so upset over each other? really heart wrenching!).
We think it was a huge misunderstanding involving Joel's desire to play Ninja Turtles and Laurel's desire to go down the slide that escalated quickly into broken engagements that made them both upset. I told Joel Andrew that the toughest thing about Kindergarten is being able to juggle all those pretty awesome friends - and he needed to be more sensitive. Joel seemed to want to ignore that he played any part in making Laurel break the engagement. As I explained to him, women only get mad for a reason and that reason is usually something the men have done-- so boy, what have you done? Further conversation enlightened both Joel and myself, and he is prepped to go in today and give Laurel a hug, tell her that her new haircut is Beautiful, and let her know that she is always welcome to play with him - no matter who he is playing with. He told me that this conversation would have to wait until recess though, as line-up is serious business. You can't talk at carpet time and recess is the only time to chat with friends. Tight ship, Mrs. Middleton, I like it!
He keeps referring to one boy who "doesn't listen." I hope that is not him in third person.
He talks a lot about Avery. At first he referred to Avery as "she" but we quickly figured out he had his pronouns wrong. Hopefully this Avery character is a good upstanding citizen.
Do you know why he is on the bus for an hour each morning before he gets into school? Our town is like 5 square miles. There are 200something kids in the entire K-8 school, and 4 busses. How is it possible that it takes an hour for his bus to get to school? When I was in high school I designed the middle school bus routes as part of my Engineering class senior year, perhaps I can help.
Oh, and I should tell you. We are going away for 5 days just about the time when you will have your classroom and routine settled for him and you. We will rip him out mid-day on a Wednesday and not return him until the following Thursday, the day before a 3-1/2 day holiday weekend. This is sure to bode well for all. Don't worry… It is not for a family emergency or event - we need to go to Disney World!
I just wanted to say that we are thrilled and so excited that Joel is loving school. I can only hope that he is being as good as we hope he is being for you everyday. If not let us know - no more Octonauts for a week!
Sincerely,
Joel's Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment