In the beginning of training, I certainly didn't know what I was thinking - I remember getting in from runs and saying to myself, "I had no business signing up for a 1/2 marathon." I frequently said this to myself. But, by then I had signed up for the 1/2, and planned a family vacation with friends who have also signed up for the 1/2, so I was in. I took it slow and allowed myself to be proud of my small victories - or surprises. I would be surprised to find that I broke 5 miles, or that I was getting faster. And with each small victory I got a little closer. Then I started to make small goals - next week a 5k in under 30. Done. The week after a 10K in under an hour. Done. With each small goal became a bigger confidence, and thus - just a week ago I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon and I ran it, in a pretty good time I might add! - all to prep for Disney, which is still one month out yet. Who does that? Not me, usually! And, this is the golden point which makes the accomplishment all the more sweet, and totally totally addictive.
(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder + Stressed Out + Overweight and Depressed) * A new Addiction which helps satisfy and deal with all three = a New Runner and someone a lot better for it.
Accomplished, proud and focused on something other than work, house, people who break into your house, and reality TV. (almost) Fitting into clothes again without dieting too hard core. And, bringing some street-cred to conversations with the residents of NH - who all seem to be runners. These are just some of the early benefits.
So, I'm a runner now? I guess? I completed my first half marathon, the third race I have ever completed, and I have learned a few things:
- Anyone can run a 1/2 marathon. ANYONE. I did it, anyone can do it. And you can do it with just months of training. I finished, I met with my family, chatted with other people, ate a banana, drank a beer, waited in well too long of a line to get my "lobster roll with run" - left line, walked around aimlessly. And, then I cheered more people as they finished. These people set a goal, worked hard, and were finishing - who cares what time it took, they were finishing. Anyone can run a half marathon. The person who came in first of 4,500 runners, did so on a hand cycle. Anyone. ANYONE.
- Running clothes do matter, and do make a difference. And, you should always dress for 10-15 degrees warmer than the weather outside for long runs. You do not need to match, and the louder the gear the better. Ironic running t-shirts/phrases are welcomed. Sweatbands on heads are not just an 80s fad. Runners will laugh at you if you show up to a race wearing sweatpants to run. "Wicking fabric" is a thing, buy it and get to love it. You may also pay $100 for running pants that can also hold your cellphone. So much for all the $ I save by not paying for workout classes or the gym or a bike! Sparkles, tutus, tiaras, all accepted and applauded. But do not wear a t-shirt. Nothing as simple as that please.
- Get fitted for shoes, from someone who knows what they are talking about. A friend gave me the shoes that carried me across my first 1/2 finish line, and he knew me and did well! Unfortunately, I also went to an outlet store to get a "back up pair" - it took me months to realize the nagging pain in my heel was because the back up pair was not cutting it. A quick trip to the local store and I was validated, a new order placed with my friend and his expert advice! And a new back-up pair from the store too. 2 pairs that you are actively using are a good plan - 1 to break in and 1 on their way out so that if you lose one pair, mud or water happens, anything, there is always another ready to go. Never wear anything new in the 2 weeks leading up to race day! Shoes are like tires, the treds wear.
- The biggest Duh of all. When you finish a race, the time on the clock is not necessarily your time of run - especially on the big races. It is called "gun time" - there is a Net Time - my Net Time for my first Half Marathon was 2:11:57.0 the gun time - which I originally thought was my time - was 2:14:46.8 - what a way to shave a few minutes off your first run! I was wondering why all 4,500 of us were barely walking for what seemed like forever before I crossed the start mat. Actually, with so many people wanting to break PR's (personal records for those of you new) - I am surprised there wasn't a stampede once you cross that Net Time starting point!
- Read up to create your own perfect plan to get you started. I really liked Matt Fitzgeralds' 80/20 method. But above all, I found that the best thing to do, is to do what works best for you. For me, one long run; one pace run (middle distance); and one short fast run a week was the best training. Intersperse with Yoga and Stretching - in the winter time I hope weight training. This could mean in the beginning a 1 mile short run; 2 mile middle run and 3 mile long run. Up everything by 10% each week (short run speed; middle run a combo of distance and speed and long run just distance), and grow to where you want to be. Excel helped me set goals here. And I found that by challenging myself each time, differently - also helped to improve all around. For a while I got stuck coming back from runs not looking like I did anything. Then, I challenged myself on a short run day, and ran 4 miles averaging a 8:28 minute mile. Joel husband would say, if it didn't hurt you didn't try hard enough. I wouldn't go that far, but if I came back from a run and could saunter right over to the wine, I guess I could push a little harder!
- There is some sort of stick cream thing you can use for chafing. Why do other people not tell you these things? I am telling you. It's called Glide. You are welcome.
- Running with friends is a plus. My husband would joke with me that there were two types of friends to run with. One, you are more trained than them. You have great runs and you keep up the conversation because you are more trained and the pace is theirs, not yours. You end feeling excited and improved and ready, to your poor friend's detriment. Then, of course there is the other type of friends to run with, when the tables are turned and you are the one trying to keep up with the talking, supportive friend. These runs are important, they kick your butt because you do not want to fall behind too much - and they keep you in check. Haven't found that 3rd type yet. I have seen it though, most recently at the 1/2 I just did - it is out there. People who run in pairs. And stay the same pace. Haven't found my pair mate yet. Maybe I will?
- Having a cheering section is a plus. Your friends and family get annoyed with all your running talk, but they are important and need to realize it too. Seeing my boys at the finish line for my 1/2 was awesome and like icing on the cake. I went to a wedding and ran a personal best distance hungover, even eating an oyster on my last mile (I ran be the restaurant the wedding party was having a drink at, stopped, took the oyster and then kept going) - the joke of the wedding moving forward was everyone asking me "how much did you run yesterday?" Yes, I get it, I talked about it a lot. And, you poking fun at me (always with a side of awe, I saw it, you were shocked I did that!), actually was awesome for me. It reminded me I did do it. And ate an oyster in the process too. I am a middle-aged mother of two who is working hard to try to save a museum as well as keep a healthy balance of veggies and fruits in my children's diets, and I can also kill a hungover run and end with an oyster shooter. I freaking rock.
- Schwag and medals and bananas, these are all just some of the awesome things you will acquire at a race. My husband did all sorts of sports and has all sorts of medals, and at Sunday River are his ski trophys and the basement is littered with them. I did not do any sports. I am psyched to finally be doing something now, and bringing those medals to the neighbor's bbq in full strut mode (hey, my 1/2 medal is also a bottle opener, it was completely appropriate for me to wear it all day, and be the official bottle opener of the Fabbri book club bbq).
- Once you pass a hurdle - the one thing you thought you couldn't do - there is no stopping you. I thought there was no way I would ever run more than 6 miles - and you do it, and you do it again and do it better the second time - you will be hooked. But, there is a limit. I think the max I could ever consider myself going is 15 miles. That's it. Well, maybe 20. That run for the border run looks interesting.
- Music is important. It should be changed. It should be updated. If you know someone who is a runner, buy them an iTunes gift card.
- JFR Means Just (expletive that begins with F) Run. People wear shirts and have hats, and hashtag it, and I had no idea. I was wondering if it was someone's initials who died in a tragic running accident. Nope.
- You can't get bored. Maybe talk to me in a few years, but there is always a way to best oneself, a new thing to achieve.
- I am yet to learn, but what do we do in the Winter? I heard someone on my Facebook running page call it a Dreadmill. I can't agree more. I wont last 2 minutes on it. YIKES! What's going to happen?
- Runners are a good group of people. They want to help each other out and build each other up. They consider themselves apart of an elite club in which we know what each other is doing, accomplishing, and striving toward. Runners will find others because of bumper stickers, and chat for the next hour about the best place to run or the best race. They will alienate those close to them (who are not runners) in these conversations - not because they mean to, or want to, but because they are so excited about it, so passionate about it. They keep going.
Psyched to be apart of this. Scared to ever get an injury to sideline me. Terrified at the winter and the treadmill and worried that I will fall out of it and not reap any of the benefits anymore. Today I had a work lunch in Portsmouth. I changed in my car in the parking lot, ran to Maine. Got back to my car less than 33 minutes and almost 4 miles later, and then picked up my son from daycare to go to dance. ANYONE can run.
Here's to hoping this isn't a fad for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment