Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Indy - Pats vs. Colts

So, this is now our 9th away game, I think...  I have to write about it, but I am not sure what to write.  The trip was so epic, words cannot describe.  Also, it cannot be compared to any other football game experience either - because we had club AND suite tickets!  Not kidding. Actually, we had regular seats too - we sold those though.  Long story.

Normally I talk about the cleanliness of the stadium, the food they sold, the people and the intense harrassment of us in our Pats jerseys, but for this game we were swept away in a sea of amazingness, that I never really made it out to the regular seating area.  I'm ok with that, and did and will always treasure every moment.

We were going to go for the weekend, with friends and one thing led to another and the friend's dad was in town, and he had club seats - but then his friend was in town, and he had suite seats, and he wanted to share.  OK!

We let it slide when the catered tailgate had a deflated football cake (BTW - that was THE BEST cake I have ever eaten!); and Brady testifying cookies.  We stayed at the tailgate a long time, got to the stadium and the suite, and when we got there, most of the seats were taken. So, the suite owner GAVE US CLUB TICKETS.  Are you kidding?  That was enjoyable and we watched the first half of the game, where the Colts were doing better than we thought they would - from those seats.  It was awesome.

Second half back to the Suite. While I was chatting with Kim and explaining why teams generally do not go for it on 4th down, the Colts did, and it ended very, very poorly (now dubbed the punt).  The game went downhill for the Colts from there, but the Pats fans in the suite stayed on and boy did we have some fun.

The whole experience was really nice. We need to write some thank yous for sure. Joel husband had a lot of party and was a little roudy on the way home.  Some insights into our general time in Indy and the football fun we had:


  1. The stadium is in an awesome location, very walkable from downtown and HUGE!  The retractable roof makes it temperate no matter what time of year. Everything seemed new and awesome, what a great place to watch a game!
  2. All of the people in town seemed a little against us Pats people - but don't worry, they had a big mid-western smile for us too.  We ordered a cookie cake that said "Go Pats" and were told people almost weren't going to make it.  All in good fun, but seriously the Colts fans are fiercely loyal and also really, really think we are cheaters.
  3. We did not get food or drink from the stadium as we came full, and the suite had food.  I am told there were local beers on tap, and the signature fried pork sandwich.  We may just need to go again!
  4. Pats fans really brought it this trip, everyone on the plane ride down was quite vocal, and even running at 7am on Sunday morning I ran past a few fans who screamed "go pats" with me.  We did a good job representing!
Pats won.  

The remainder of the weekend was amazing.  Indy is an incredible city, totally walkable (or runable, as I did one 12 mile run and one 6 mile run, and what beautiful loops they were!).  The zoo is very nice, and two seconds from downtown; the museums are in a row and gorgeous, the Eiteljorg building itself is a marvel.  The canal walk has to be done, it is incredible to think a city was able to make something like that so beautiful and so clean and so welcoming for all.  And, there is a steakhouse on every corner.  We of course went to the famed St. Elmo's for a drink.  I want to go back to Indy again and again, what a treat!  I am so thankful we were able to go, and in such style, and do hope we can bring the kids again soon.

1 comment: