Sunday, October 25, 2015

New Flag Football Believer

So, I have to say, I have been a bit glum in the past about organized team sports for young children.  My primary concerns are losing the weekend hours to games, being slaves to games, and having my children feel as though they cannot exceed.

Joel joined flag football this year because frankly, most of the other boys are doing it.  I was not excited about the weekend commitment, but Joel Husband you could tell, from the get go was psyched.  This was going to be something he would bond with his boy over.  It would be awesome.

I went to the second game for the first time, and I watched as a boy in Joel's grade grabbed the ball and sprinted, with some artful turns, to the other end of the field, evading all of the 1 foot taller boys along the way.  And I was hooked.  We cheered and cheered.  And Joel Andrew looked confused.  The boy who got the touchdown's parents told me that the first season is a rough one, do not worry.  That's ok, I thought.  As long as he is having fun.

Week after week we went to game after game and I got more and more excited each time a little kid ran down to the other end of the field to get a touchdown.  And then it happened, Joel started pulling flags.  He caught the ball, he tried to run...  He will get there.

He is more confident than ever, and he has a good time.  His coaches (including his Dad) are doing a great job, and he is learning to play on a team, good sportsmanship, and not to give up.  He is learning to practice and to be strong.  And, all of the other parents continue to remark to me about his improvement.

I feel a bit like he is like his Mommy, and maybe most improved player this year.  I am proud of my little guy and can't wait to root the team on again next weekend.  Yes, on a Saturday, at 8:00am.  Go Pack Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment