Monday, October 12, 2015

Smuttynose Rockfest 1/2 Marathon




I ran my first ever half marathon a week ago now, and I thought I would create my own little running section on the blog where I can talk about what I liked, and didn't like about each race.  So, here it goes.


Smuttynose Rockfest
Sunday, October 4, 2015, 8:00am
Hampton, NH
#5366
Finished in 2:11:57.0 (10:05 mile)
2593 504/981  F3039      JULIE WILLIAMS       Hampton Falls NH       35 F  5366 2:11:57.0 10:05 2:14:46.8 

Things I loved:


  • I could pick up my bib the day before, (it was close to my house, so this worked).
  • It was close to my house, and the route is one I run on a ton, so I know and like it. 
  • Flat, lovely run with lots of water and rest room stops, ideal visual split of the race knowing the four different sections of the route (run in town; run up beach; run in the backroads; run down beach to home).  Well done.
  • All of the people, except for the traffic, bathroom lines, and starting issues (see below) - I loved all of the people there. 
  • Beer tent, that was fun, wish it wasn't so windy I would have stayed and hung out!
  • Snacks - they gave out tons and tons of snacks afterwards!
  • Medal - a bottle opener?  YES PLEASE!


Things that were tough:

  • The traffic going in really was no joke, so I needed to be there super early and find parking, and then I was there and cold and waiting.
  • Bathroom lines!  There were huge lines before the start of the race, I could not believe it!  But, what are they going to do?  The bathroom needs were only for about 20 minutes all day, or all event. 
  • It was cold - I was glad I brought an old t-shirt and ditched it on mile 2.
  • The first few miles were lapping loops. Would have loved to do a longer, straighter shot up the beach more but my guess is closing traffic down is tough!
  • There were a ton of people at the start, tons, I didn't understand when we were even supposed to start!  If you look at my time, it took me 3 minutes to get to the start line. 
  • Lobster line - way, way too long!

 I hope to do more and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment