Saturday, November 21, 2009

Rollin' Sleepin' and Eatin'


This guy has done a lot this week! He turned four months yesterday, and in anticipation of that, and as a result of that - we have a lot of things going on.

First of all, he has had formula. Yes, the little man is off the boobie officially as of Monday, and since Mom is loosing her mind pumping, we introduced formula on Thursday to help supplement my supply. Knock on wood, the little man could care less. Which makes me think, why did I not do this sooner? Oh yeah, I know why - because I am crazy and brainwashed by the no bottle police into thinking that I will get cancer and my kid will die young if I do not boobie feed him until he is 1 year old. I am still pumping and watching as my supply is dwindling on its own, and we still have a few hundred frozen ounces in the freezer, so he will get some until Christmas at least I hope. But, the important thing, as LJ's doctor says, "make the decision, move on and know you are doing a great job." I love him by the way.

So, formula down - next stop food! We had the all-clear to start on rice cereal. Once he gets that down, we can go to oats, then barley. Then - fruits and veggies! I can't wait. We are hoping rice cereal will work this week. This feeding thing is like a whole new language. It is just as I remember when first trying to register for all of the baby items. I had no idea what half the stuff was, what he needed and what I would like. I was overwhelmed and exhausted at the notion I needed to learn all these things. The food is the same way for me. I had no idea rice cereal even existed. Nor how to make it. His doctor told us matter-of-factly, mix this amount of formula with that amount of cereal and try for one day then this amount the next day - all while I was nervously searching for a pen. He laughed and said the baby will give me cues. Ah! What, I am relying on this little guy to guide me through this important stage?

Later that day I have friends over and one of them has a 6 month old. Both me, and another Mom of a 5 month old were grilling her for about 1/2 hour about when her baby eats, how much and what. She, too said - "you just watch the baby's cues." Ah!

Anyway, so rice cereal is about to start! His rash continues and so his Dr. is wondering if it has something to do with dairy (back to that again). So, we may be experimenting with some sort of lactose free formula. But, I will not be experimenting with a lactose-free diet... So not sure how much good that will do anyway.

In other news, he rolled over! Yes! On Wednesday he was on the mat in the bathroom while I was getting some stuff done. I heard a funny giggle so I poked in just in time, to see his first roll over! He rolls to his left, onto his tummy and then lifts his head up very strong. He giggles in delight at his accomplishment and then proceeds to freak out. Remember, my child HATES tummy time. So, now he rolls onto his tummy and cannot move from there. It is pretty funny. Now, big Joel and I spend a lot of time trying to teach him how to roll back.

Other milestones this week, full on play with toys. He picks them up, knows what they are, and chews on them acknowledges them and smiles at them. It is adorable! He fits both hands in his mouth and stares at them a lot now too.

The sleeping is a whole different story. After many nights of waking mommy up at least 3 or 4 times, my first question to our Dr. at the recent visit was "is it medically necessary for him to be waking up at night?" Again, I wanted to kiss the doctor because he said: "absolutely not!" He should not need to wake up at all anymore. The Dr. coached us, and last night we tried "cry it out." I cried in anticipation of this torture. But, as big Joel kept mentioning, three nights of torture for a lifetime of a happier, healthier mommy and baby is not so bad. Joel sensed my hesitancy though and made me sleep in the man room - at the other end of the house, with the tv on and with noise canceling headphones nearby. It was the first time I had slept in more than a 4 hour stretch in weeks, and more than 6 hours in months so I went for it. LJ apparently cried for an hour straight but then that was it. This morning I had to go in and open the shades, and he woke up smiling and happy. Let's see how tonight works out!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Couldn't get to the computer fast enough this morning to see how Joel did last night. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sleeping longer! We did CIO for Cameron but her problem was waking up in the middle of the night, she went down fine. LJ will get rolling from front to back soon enough...and then he'll be even closer to crawling!

    ReplyDelete