Sunday, November 15, 2009

Update

I must be getting into a groove, because I am finding it harder and harder to write posts these days. It is actually sort of scary, if you think about it. Time is starting to fly way too fast - is Thanksgiving really coming up so soon? And days are melting into one another. We have our routines, and we have our playdates, and the weekends are even quicker. The days themselves seem to fly by as well!

In terms of milestones, he is holding steady to me - but when people see him for the first time in a few weeks they are amazed at his changes. He is full out laughing now, he tried to sit up on his own in his chair (see above), and he has started to "use" his toys. He grabs onto the things hanging from his gym, and he holds his rattle - or that incredibly expensive Sophie the Giraffe (which every baby has to have!). He will swing it around and chew on these things. And, every once in a while he catches these objects in his eye and he seems just as surprised as Mommy that he is holding and using them! So, we are not up to full on play yet, but we are getting there.

The 9 hour sleep night was a fluke. He now wakes up three times a night. I gave him bottles last night so I can see just actually how much he is eating, and even if he is eating - and boy is he. Last night alone in two feedings he ate 7 ounces. Which I think is a lot for the middle of the night! He still has about 24 ounces during the day, so I am not sure how we can pump him full anymore. Trust me, we try!
His 4 month Dr's appointment is on Friday. This is also his 4 month birthday. I made it 4 months exclusively "breastfeeding." Yes, the lactation consultant guilted me to keep on going even though I said 3 months was enough for us. But, 4 months, of pumping. I am proud. I really hope he will be over 14 pounds, 6 ounces at the appointment - because I can then also say he will be double the weight from when we brought him home from the hospital. I already bought a few types of formula, and I would like to make sure he is all set with that before we go to Florida in early December, so here we are. Does anyone have any suggestions for traveling with boobie juice? The problem is although we will be flying down there with him, we will not be with him once there - my mom is taking him. So, how would we get boobie juice down there for him for four days? I am afraid to check it, and I am also thinking now that my supply is dwindling, there is no way I can pump enough fresh for four days...

Well, again I talked about the boob juice. Looking forward to his four month appointment though. And, hopefully real food. I am hoping we can also try some mushed up vegetable of some sort at Thanksgiving this year.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic of LJ sitting up in his chair - what a strong little guy!

    If he went 9 hours once, he can do it again - he'll get there soon, I'm sure! And until then, just look at those middle of the night feedings as extra chances to cuddle (might not help at 3 am, of course). Have you thought about upping his bottles to give him more at one feeding and maybe last him longer? Lucy was up to 5 or 6 ounce bottles by her 4 month appointment.

    Enjoy your holidays!
    - Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of traveling with breastmilk it is actually MORE versitle than formula. When I went up to Maine I brought about 80 frozen ounces. It thawed a bit on the trip but I put it back in the freezer no problem. If you have fresh stuff (which I did when I traveled for work), you can put it in a thermas and it will be OK for 8 hours. The airport security might need to check it but they just wave a strip over the top of the countainer and that's it. I actually ended up double bagging my fresh milk in the thermas and checked it with my luggage. You will have enough to worry about just traveling with LJ! If you are interested in introducing formula (which I did around month 5) then you should give an entire bottle of it - don't mix it. You might want to start with the first feeding since you can pump right after and get a lot (I always had the most first thing in the morning). Cameron responded well to Similac Advanced Shield.

    ReplyDelete