
This past weekend we went up to Sunday River. We had been before, but it was a few months ago and he was really little (as compared to just very little right now...), so he slept a lot, didn't need much entertainment and I was still getting up with him through the night at times. This past weekend, now that he is almost 6 months old, it was a different story. Traveling is getting harder I am finding.

He had a hard time adjusting to the new place, as it took him about 45 minutes to fall asleep on Friday night and he decided 5 am was a good time to wake up on Saturday morning. At this point I had decided we would never go to Sunday River again. But, we stuck it out and Saturday night only I slept in the room with him. Two dogs, a snoring husband and an attentive Mommy just inches away from the pack n play was too much for our little dude on Friday. The paired down situation seemed to work better, though we still had an early wake-up. I wonder how other people sleep in the same room as their child? What if he wasn't swaddled, and he could pull himself up? Then he could for certain see us and it would all be over. I am thinking once this stage comes I will be out on the couch as well.

It was all worth it though to see him and Maddy have some fun. LJ sat up for the first time for an extended period of time (maybe 1 minute) which was also fun! Maddy is 6 months older, so she was crawling all over the place and him, walking a bit too. LJ would just look at her like, "wow, woman!" Every morning Maddy would walk up to LJ's chair and chat with him for about five minutes. Non-stop babble. It was so cute. We just speculated on what in the world they could be talking about. As per expected, Maddy seemed to love our little man, chicks do dig him. He also was enchanted by her! But we hear Maddy has a few man-friends so LJ may need to get in line!

The one thing that really worked, knock on wood, is the drive. Three hours is too much for our man I thought so we left at his bedtime on Thursday night. He slept the whole way. When we arrived we got him in his pack n play (after a long drama of needing to move the pack n play because they were replacing the windows in our room, who replaces windows in January?) - once he was in he went right back to sleep. He did the same going home! The only downside is that we do not get up there until 10pm...
The key is to have him separated from you if possible - maybe even a bathroom? Also, it takes about 2 nights for him to get used to a place so any "weekend" away isn't going to be hugely relaxing for you!
ReplyDelete