Monday, January 25, 2010

MFA

Today LJ and I went to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. What a fun trip! Despite the rain and the one hour car drive, it was an incredibly pleasant experience. I have been a volunteer at the MFA for a few years now and I think I have gone only once to the Museum, without having to volunteer or go to an event. So, it was certainly a nice treat just to get to walk around the galleries.
It was an especially nice treat to take LJ. I thought he might like it, and I was right! He loved looking at all of the shapes and colors. We stuck to the Asian, Egyptian, Oceanic, African areas which were nice for him, sculpture at his height (in the stroller), colorful kimonos, the different textures of the headdresses. He loved it all and chatted as well (in his museum voice to boot!).
We went with friends from my preggos in the pool class, see Ava pictured above and below. Ava also seemed to enjoy the Museum, though she gave a few raspberries of disapproval on some of the not-so-impressive pieces. A budding art critic I am sure! My favorite moment of the day, the two babies drooling all over the demonstration mirror for the Sargent murals. Don't worry, it was just the mirror. They loved it!
The MFA is a great place to bring the little ones, they will love all of the colors and shapes too. Midweek there are quite a few people in the galleries still, but you are able to find an empty one here and there which is good for louder-than-normal museum level conversation. They had ample changing stations, though one of them was in a back hallway/ access area for staff. So, that was a little weird, but hey. And, they actually had a nursing station! Yes, it was a closet under the stairs, but you have to admit that is very nice of them. The cafeteria downstairs was a great place to bring the kiddos. High chairs were around and accessible. Strollers were allowed everywhere, they never worried about the size of our diaper bags, and elevators were easy to find. The valet parking was a life saver in the rain, and only cost $3 more than the garage. If you are a member it is severely discounted. So, all in all a really great time! Hope you guys get out to the Museum too!

1 comment: