
Lately the little guy has been a squirmy wormer. when eating, when bathing and when sleeping. He has always itched his head while taking the bottle (due to his rash issues, which can be seen around his mouth is some photos here). But now he pulls away screaming, and then 10 seconds later screams for the bottle again. Mommy is getting quite frustrated, to say the least. I am hoping it is not his food, which was prescribed to him by the Drs and now is finally going to be paid for in full by the insurance company after lots of drama... I notice he does itch more when he gets frozen boobie juice, but the crying/screaming thing seems to be universal. Doesn't happen when he eats food though, loves food!

The bathtime squirming is especially worrying. He is now way too big for me to pick him up and put his head under the faucet, without either of us getting a black eye or worse... So I am trying to use the cups and pour water over his head. This entices him to squirm and splash more! Any helpful hints?

We are still swaddling him, though he is getting out now of his nap swaddle quite regularly... I am thinking of trying a sleep sac for morning naps. But am quite worried! Must go, jumper fun time has ended...
How timely considering my last post! :-) LJ is about the age Cameron was when we unswaddled her and did CIO. We didn't do the sleep sack at first but I wish we did because it even though it doesn't constrain them the same way they are surrounded by it so it kind of feels like a swaddle. We use the safer bather and the Munchkin bath rinser to wash Cameron. She'll still flip over occassionally but it's not too bad. I didn't realize you were doing perscription food - would love to read more about it! LJ is also about the age that I started occassionally turning Cameron around and propping her against me to eat so I could put my arm over hers to keep her still. Sounds awful but I found once she couldn't struggle as much she was calmer. Plus I wasn't looking at her and she could look around.
ReplyDeleteHe is on Alimentium which is like formula, but twice as expensive. They sell it in the stores. I think it is the "cure-all" formula, as I have met a bunch of babies with different things - excessive spitting up, colic, etc. - and they are all on it. Which is also the reason why insurance is so weird about covering it. But luckily we have that taken care of. And, he seems to be doing a lot better. Though we have a ton of the other formula too... So one day we will get to that as well. They put him on the Alimentium because of his rashes, he had them all over his body - it started on his head just like a bad case of cradle crap, but got red and infected. Very sad for the little boy. Of course this was around the loosing the hair time, so he had a rough patch, literally. We started him on this formula and have him a topical steroid just about the time we went to florida, so it is a number of things that could have tampered it. I have heard this skin issue - which some say is excema, other doctors have called it different things, is hereditary. When I was a baby I was allergic to any formula with cow's milk and had the same reaction. Ironically now when I give him the frozen boobie juice, he itches. There was no way with all of my bfeeding problems I was going non-dairy too!
ReplyDeleteI saw your post! I will have to get the Safer Bather. I also bought the feeder bags today. Do you have any suggestions for sippy cups? I am thinking we are supposed to start thinking about that. I have the rings and the piano on my to get list!
Hi Julie! I've been lurking here right along but saw your plea for comments in an earlier post so I thought I should reveal myself! Anyway, this post is timely because Milly has gotten SO squirmy in the last few weeks. ("Squirmy Worm" has been one of her nicknames for a long time, but she's been taking it to new levels this month. It must be a 5-month old thing.) When I feed her now she uses her developing abdominal muscles to sit almost all the way up and then refuses to lay back down, or she arches her back really far and stays that way, or just acts like she's going to roll off my lap. It's so annoying! I've started just putting her down and coming back later because when she's hungry enough, she'll usually be still. (Fortunately she doesn't cry too much when I do this.) She's also developing this compulsive habit of stroking my hair while she's eating, which started out kind of cute, but lately has turned into very painful pulling. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteShe's also into kicking and splashing in the bath, but we have a tub that holds her in place pretty well (the Primo Eurobath), so it's not that much of a problem. She really seems to love the water. Andy took her into the hotel pool while we were traveling over the holidays and she kicked her feet as if she'd always known how to swim. It made me think I should look for a mom and baby swim class, but then the idea of getting into a bathing suit is a little horrifying to me at the moment (even if it's in front of other post-partum moms!).
Allimentum is not hypoallergenic - it still has some milk proteins (and possibly corn). Penny's on EleCare for her allergies. My friend Julie's daughther has serious ezcema (very itchy) and she end up testing her daughter for allergies - milk, eggs, wheat, ugh! BUT.... so worth it! Her daughter is on soy formula. She looks better and is less itchy. If you think squirmmy now is tough wait until they can crawl or walk away! And the whining! I bet it kicks in for LJ in about 2-3 months. I love the age he is at now so enjoy it while you can!
ReplyDelete