Today was our first day for the baby/toddler pool class. As many of you may well know, when I was pregnant I took a pregnant lady yoga and pool class. I called it Preggos in the Pool. I thought Poopers in the Pool would be the next logical name for his swim classes.
Sadly, I am not taking the swim class with any of my Preggos in the Pool friends. I tried to get them to join me, but most of them are waiting until April to sign up, and even then they will be going on Saturday. As you also may well know, we tend to have weekend commitments that would prevent me from signing up for a Saturday class. As it was I only made about ½ of the Preggos in the Pool Saturday’s and rationalized paying it as Tuesday night yoga came with.
So, today we ventured by ourselves to “Poopers in the Pool.” I have to say, it was not the wonderful experience I had thought it would be. It is actually quite difficult to take him there. It is at 10:30, which is his usual nap wake up time, so I have to wake him up, get him dressed, and book it over there. We were on time I thought – but all of the other mothers were already there and almost in the pool. I hate being late.
Next observation. How freakin’ cold it is outside. Yes, his pool class started on the coldest day of the year. I had to get him all bundled, then unbundled for the 1 minute walk to the gym. I am trying not to bring the bucket with me everywhere anymore. 1, because it is really heavy with the 17 pounder in it, and 2 because I think he is just getting big for it now. None of my other friends lug the bucket around anymore, so I wonder if I am weird for doing it for so long. Plus, where is the bucket going to sit while we are in the pool?
So, he is in, ready to swim and the third observation, he is the youngest, by a lot. There was a 16-month old that was the next in age to him. Then 2 and 3 year olds. Ok, I thought. We went in and he was more interested in the other kids splashing around. He did really well. I put him on his tummy with his head up, and he kicked. He seems to be a natural in the pool. The teacher did some songs and there were some toys to entertain him, but most of it was lost on my little guy.
I think the good news of it all was that he was just becoming accustomed to the water. This is really important as we will be feet from the lake in the summer. But, I was not overly thrilled with the whole experience. We are locked in though, 7 more weeks. Perhaps it will get better? Maybe at least warmer? Regardless, next Fall I think we will be in the class.
Hmmmm. I am very, very suprised that the swim class has such a disparity in ages. Are there other ones in your area that you can look at? Also, do they have a specific cirriculum? In Cameron's class they teach safety techniques (how to climb out of the pool) and breathing exercises to prepare them for going under water. Both have totally worked for us and now Cameron can do 3 seconds completely submerged. As someone who usually brings Cameron alone to the pool I recommend you keep bring the stroller - makes it easier to get ready yourself, especially once LJ start crawling! Does the pool have an observation area? That is where I leave my stroller. I usually lock my purse in the car and just bring my keys in. That way I don't worry as much. You should have Karen go with you one day to take pictures. Kids in pools are so cute!
ReplyDelete