
Today we went to the New England Aquarium. It was a really good time except for the fact that we had a massive meltdown upon arriving home. While there he was unlike himself and a little cranky too. I think the teething is finally settling in and wearing him down. He slept like a log the whole ride home, and I thought he would be good when he got inside the house, but major meltdown occurred. I gave him some tylenol, and now he is falling asleep in his swing. Sad face!

But, he did have some happy moments. He again loved taking everything in, looking at the penguins, the fish, and seeing his friends. We went with Maddy and Kyle. Maddy and Kyle are both older, and were walking around a bit. I know that my little man will not be far behind.

The Aquarium is a wonderful place to take the kiddos, in theory. Penguins so close, all of the fish, a touch tank for the somewhat older guys, cafeteria and lots of restrooms. But, boy is it a bit of an excursion. It really made me appreciate the MFA more. The MFA's cafeteria had good looking food (as opposed to the Aquarium which offered fried food, or fried food), the changing tables at the MFA were new (as opposed to a changing table I was probably changed on, well not really since I didn't go to the Aquarium when I was younger). It also is very crowded and can get overrun with school groups. Kim was quick to point out that it was empty compared to a day she went last June - I can't imagine what the weekends are like!

We did have fun though, it was mostly stroller accessible, except we had to miss the top of the tank (understandable) and the Jellyfish exhibit (not understandable). The penguins are clearly the best part. We joined the Aquarium because if I go more than once, we win back the membership fee. Ticket prices are that expensive (over $20 per person). Combine that with parking, ($25 with validation, yikes!) and I am not sure how families can go for a day.
So, of course we will be back. But, I send this question out - why is our Aquarium so stinky? (Literally and figuratively). Why couldn't New England have a world-class place like Chicago?

He still had a good time, which is all that counts!
I love the Baltimore Aquarium (one of the closest ones to us), but they don't allow strollers inside. So it's going to be a long time before we take the kids there! Lucy is way too heavy to lug around in my arms all day :-). Sorry about the teething fussiness - we are dealing with that, too.
ReplyDelete-Allison
THe Andover Public Library has 4 person passses that patrons of the library can check out, so there is a way for a family to get to the aquarium for little $. As for the stinkiness, if I remember it, the Chicago aquarium is mostly enclosed whereas the Boston one is not and don't forget you are next to the ocean which naturally stinks! Sue
ReplyDelete