Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fun with Food Part II

My little munchkin is 7 months old. Below I list my meal plan based on books, friends and Dr advice. Of course, a lot of the books, friends and Dr. advice has been contradictory. So, this is what I could piece together based on all of the recommendations (weighing heavily on the Dr's of course), and also based on J's interest and needs. But, I open the floor - did you introduce anything sooner? What was your 7 month old doing?
0-4 months:
Straight Boobie juice

4 months:
Introduction of formula*, cereals.

5 months:
Introduction of fruits and veggies. (apples, pears, squashes and sweet potato)

6 months:
"Breakfast" and "Dinner" implemented. Introduction of puffs and teething biscuits. Further exploration in fruits and veggies, including peaches, bananas, blueberries, mangoes, cauliflower, peas, green beans, turnips, carrots. And, raw bananas in a mesh bag. (quotation marks around breakfast and dinner indicate that by no means is the amount of food I am giving him at these times enough for him, all meals are still supplemented with a bottle).

7 months:
Begin to mix food offerings, and add olive oil and spices (ex. sweet potato, banana and roasted turnip with olive oil, I want some!). Increase food at "Breakfast" and "Dinner" to a few more ounces. Formula started scaling back to 20 ounces a day. Introduction of "Lunch."

8 months:
Keep mixing food offerings. Introduce mushed chicken, turkey and then maybe lamb and beef. Continue to play with gentle spices and start to make textures less mushy.

9-12 months:
Introduce yogurt, and finger foods. Start having meals (no quotation marks). Drop all bottles by 12 months. How many meals a day do they get? 3 square or a few smaller? When is it right to start finger foods?

* Would have continued with boobie juice, but couldn't.

2 comments:

  1. I'm nervous about dropping bottles. Don't forget to have him working on the sippy cup. It has taken Cameron a good two months to use it moderately well. Have I mentioned I nervous about dropping bottles? :-P I'm thinking about going cold Turkey at 12 or 13 months. But we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not nervous about dropping bottles... well, I guess a little. I am afraid I will not be able to make a balanced meal for him, three times a day, that is a lot of work! But, I will welcome the chance to no longer wash those bottles. Or, the beautiful (not) smell of spit-up alimentium. Gross!

    ReplyDelete