Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Day in the Life of a SAHM

SAHM (sam) - for those of you who do not know (I had to be told as well) is the acronym for Stay At Home Mom. I am one of those. While working, I was blissfully unaware of what taking care of a child would be like, so I decided that if I were to leave my job I was going to make a list of fun things to do - and be certain that I got all of these fun things done in J's first year of life. Visit museums, check. Keep a blog, check. Make his food, check. Cook every night for dinner, well, uh, sometimes, check. Get back into craft projects such as knitting, sewing and the like, no checks there. Read, definitely no check.
So, what do I do with my time? Well, as you can read below I have been going to Museums with the little guy which is great, but I hear this will not longer be a possibility once he is mobile. Thank the man in the sky that his mobileness will be coming with the summer.

For prosperity (and for me who will one day say, what did I do all day with the kiddo when he was young?) I decided to chronicle today, a day where the two of us were at home. No pool class, no gymboree, no "play date." What did we do?
We woke up, he had a bottle, we made daddy's lunch, he ate breakfast, dogs ate and walked, we watched the Today Show (someone has got to stop Ann Curry). Mom made homemade pears and bananas while he played in his "job" (aka exersaucer) for a while, a little whining, then we danced with Ellen (J's favorite part of the day), and then nap. During nap, Mommy should have exercised but instead emailed and ate breakfast. He woke up 45 minutes later on the dot and then it was Mommy shower time. We play on the bed for a bit, today Mommy purposely brought everything that feels different onto the bed at once and he touched, tasted and enjoyed. He is fascinated by this now. Then it is little boy get dressed time, then it is another bottle, jumper time, in the car seat, we are out. This entire process, which is basically us getting ready for the day, takes 4 HOURS! I HAVE NO IDEA how Moms who work get themselves and their kiddos out the door in the mornings!

Then it was errands, PO, hardware store, Lowes, Kohls, all in rain. Back home for lunch. Letter writing and photo printing for Aunt Pat. Kiddo playing by himself on the carpet. Back in the car, bookstore. Then Dr's - booster flu shots. His male nurse, by the way, is awesome. Back in the car, VERY TIRED BOY. Home, he napped for 2 hours! Meanwhile, Mom did laundry, volunteer work for the Conservation Commission and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, emailed more, cleaned up the fish tank (sadly, we lost Fernando, one of the fish we gave out at my Baby Shower today), started dinner. Practically woke the kiddo up, play on the carpet and then decide it is puff time. High chair, puff eating, Angus' favorite part of the day. Then, Daddy home! Dinner cooking, daddy time with kiddo. Angus peed all over the kitchen. Clean up pee, clean up dinner, family time on carpet. Kiddo ready for bed, read book (he loves the touch and feel books now and goes right for the fuzzy areas), tucked in. Now, glass of wine and blogging.

If you read that, kudos to you - it is boring. But, exhausting. It does not sound like much, but it takes up the whole day. It is amazing really how fast time flies. I wish I spent more time with him on the carpet or hanging out. But, he did enjoy errands. And, by the way, Kohl's has the best bathrooms! They even have mini-toilets. I might be bringing J there to learn how to go potty!

5 comments:

  1. You know what's scary? Is when you have to start TEACHING them stuff too rather than just filling up the day. And thats why I cannot be a SAHM :-) I appreciate your comment about how hard it is to get out the door in the morning but Jeremy works at home so I have the benefit of him getting Cameron ready while I get ready. And do you really make Joel's lunch? You totally spoil him! Please tell him I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good God woman, that is very impressive! I don't feel like I accomplish nearly as much on an average day. I'm down to one outing per day and can only handle going to multiple stores if they're in the same shopping center or within walking distance... Just thinking of loading the little one in and out of the carseat multiple times, schlepping the stroller in and out of the trunk in the snow, coordinating our plans with naptime, feedings, etc., makes me tired.

    And word on wondering how people are able to get to work in the morning. I was just thinking about that every day. I think I would have to get up at 3 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Stacey! I will tell Joel that. He has it nice. I am like June Cleaver. I make him his lunch, and he usually comes home to a nice home cooked meal. I do all his laundry. I am that woman. I watch Mad Men (well, only on episode 3) now and think I am that lady. I even made a Bundt this weekend.

    Amy - it is exhausting! It was especially hard lugging him in and out in the rain, but the call of purchasing is a strong one! Nice use of "word!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days vividly and I am so glad that all I have to do is babysit and/or play with the kids. The teaching stuff (Stacey is correct) is the hard part because J isn't in daycare with all that peer interaction. But you have come up with some great ideas and I am sure that Kristin can give you some info about what her nanny does with the twins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your day! It's nice to see what SAHM's are up to. I am a full time working mom to an 11 month old. Thankfully I only have to get him out to grandma's/daycare three times a week and you're right, that is quite the feat to get us both up and out on time! Here's a post that chronicles our morning routine... I can't post the link, but check out my blog, "Frantic Pace" October, 14, 2009.

    ReplyDelete