Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gymboree and Nana

Today we enjoyed a visit with Nana and went to Gymboree. J has really enjoyed the whole Gymboree experience. I must preface it with we could sit there and stare at the room and he would still enjoy it. I am likening the experience more and more to expensive (or actually, less-expensive...) and concentrated day care that requires adult supervision. Since he does not have very much interaction with other children, this is it. At home he has his few toys, here he has the whole room to explore. Not to mention the nice lady with the fun voice he likes to stare at (his teacher). He enjoys "Not Mommy" for a while! He is also a social butterfly chatting it up with the other kiddies, whether they want to chat or not.
Both he and Nana had a ton of fun playing on all areas of the "gym." His favorite is when the teacher breaks out the parachute, as pictured below. He squeals in delight when the parachute goes up and down. Mommy must admit, this was her favorite in school too.
Many of our friends who have their kids in day care, around J's age, have noticed an increase in milestones. Many are crawling, rolling all the way over. I wonder if because he has just me all day, he is a little slower to get to the crawling stage. I tend to sit him in the crib to get stuff done, then the car seat for errands, then the jumper while I cook, then the excersaucer while I catch my breath. Our time on the floor playing is really limited when you think about it... I should work hard on changing that...

He is getting very good at entertaining himself, but I feel guilty, should he have more? He is still only 7 months, and perhaps these other kids are just total geniuses, but I think my kid is a genius too! Joel (Big) claims it is because I cater to J's every whim and if he does not want to be on his stomach I move him in an instant. He says I need to practice some tough love.
For now we will enjoy our Gymboree and pool classes, but I do think he would benefit from some more interaction. We have to make some more dates to go out and hang out with other children. I have to say though, that when his 7-1/2 month old friend Max excitedly crawled to him last week I immediately covered J's eyes and instinctively said: "Do not learn how to do that." As I know, once the crawling sets in, fun is all over for Mommy!
He had a great time with Nana and is certainly tuckered out from it!

6 comments:

  1. I guess Nana was in better shape than when I left her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Kenny and Karen think they need to be dieting...she looks great! Don't worry about the milestones. Every baby really does go a their own pace. And you have the right attitude to be happy J's ISN'T mobile yet :-) Boredom with toys will become even more of an issue as J grows. Have you looked into a SAHM play group? It would help expose J to germs (not that you want him to be sick all the time), new toys and help motivate him with milestones you do want to encourage. He is such an adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gymboree looks like fun!

    Don't worry, all kids hit milestones at different ages. I'm sure he really is a genius! And while floor time is good, kids can develop anywhere. Lucy prefers trying new things in her crib, not on the floor. It's where she first got comfortable on her stomach (took a long, long time), first rolled over regularly, first sat up on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG what is it about little boys? I want to take him and squeeze him and never let him go. I feel the same way about Ned. Or rather I do when he's not throwing a tantrum. Once J is walking he'll love Gymboree. But then you'll be constantly chasing him around the house or listening to him tantrum that he's trapped in the playroom. Wait, that's my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it makes you feel any better, Milly is nowhere near crawling, nor are any of her similarly aged friends from our moms' group. She *just* figured out how to roll over, but it's still a bit of a struggle and sometimes she forgets how to move her arm out of the way. Somebody told me that smaller babies sometimes accomplish the physical milestones more quickly than larger babies because it's easier for them to move around. Milly's a giant with a big head, so I figure that's her excuse.

    You should come down to Somerville sometime for a playdate! Milly only has female friends, she doesn't know any boys her own age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We would love to come to Somerville! Anytime! Let me know if you guys are around sometime next week or the week after! Thanks for all of your support guys. This weekend he finally learned to roll all the way over, from tummy to back, which was huge. I am not looking forward to the tantrum days... But, perhaps the constant chasing will help me with my current lack of exercise!

    ReplyDelete