This summer has been super-busy. I feel like I am always making lists or packing for something. Joel (big) likes to say “oh poor you, doesn’t know which house her sunglasses are in.” So, I really should not whine. But it is a lot of work. This week marks the first time we were home for more than 48 hours at a time in like five weeks, but it is all in preparation for all of the major things we have coming up.
I have been trying to keep up with my volunteer work. It is a lot. I do it because the places or people of my former employment need help, and I can help them easily (at least I like to think so). But I am discovering that it is really difficult to be reliable at this stage in life. I was trying to get a bunch of emails out yesterday and it was impossible. I hear silence from the other room and run to just see my son tumbling from the stairs that he has climbed. Luckily for me he caught himself at the last step and was fine, but still. Volunteer work, are you really worth it?
Which leads me to my next continual gripe, stay at home – or working from home Moms, how do you do it? How do you stay constantly attentive to your child? I know, I know, put a gate on the stairs already stupid woman (though I have an issue with gates ON stairs as I think it causes more issues than no gate at all…). But, seriously, now that he is fully mobile, CONSTANT ATTENTION. And, when he picks up a splinter of wood (still trying to figure out where that came from) and is munching on it un-be-nounced to me as I try to get an auction item for my upcoming event, how do you deal? I am telling you, constant attention!
My latest response to this problem is that when these events are over, I need to say “No” to future volunteer things. But do I? Shouldn’t I be able to still be connected with my former employers, my field, something that is adult-like? Is there a balance, or am I just a Mom now? And, as I write this - to all of my former co-workers reading this - please know I love the volunteer work, I am just trying to figure it all out right now…
Besides the point. I am to post (and probably should only post) about us and our adventures in New England. Today we ventured to the Exeter Pool. This was life changing to me. Joel (big) asked me if we lived in the ghetto that we were going to a ‘public pool,’ said with snide reaction. Come on, I thought. But boy, was this public pool awesome.
Yes, there were dirty band-aids on the ground (why are they everywhere? Did you see my last post? The kid wants to pick them up?!?!?!?). But, it was pretty nice. Tons of people, but really fun sprinkler system for the kids to walk through. Joel (little) is a bit timid with the water, which is odd because Joel (Big) is his father… But still. He had a ball just taking in all of the other kids – he loves big kids – and then we went to the neighboring park for some swing and strolling time.
But, the reason why this is such a lifesaver is that it is 5 minutes from my house. It is not cheap - $7 entry for us – even though it is “public.” But, 5 minutes. Tantrum, Mommy has had it… We can go to the pool. If I am still rocking the SAHM status in a few years, this will be golden material I tell you. I loved watching the younger kids exhaust themselves while resigned parents were semi-looking on from the shade with a book. If only they allowed chardonnay…
No comments:
Post a Comment