Logistics: Parking is a breeze. Attendants help you. There is not a long walk from parking to the attractions (at least on the weekdays). The zoo opens at 10, the amusement park at 12. Outside both is a picnic area/restrooms/gift shop. We brought our own food and made a picnic. Picnic tables, you will not want to sit on the ground here. It is about $15 per adult, and kids under 1 are free. There are different price levels for whether you want to go to the amusement side and the zoo, or just one or the other. We just really did the zoo.
We walked around fine with the stroller everywhere. It is near the ocean, so it is a bit cooler than you might think, but not much. There are tons of petting areas and feed the animal areas. Animals range from ducks to monkeys, to llamas, to tortises, peacocks, zebras, deer, lions, butterflies. Lots to see. Everyone I went with had been to the Stone Zoo and all agreed this was WAY better. I thought it was much nicer than the Franklin Park Zoo too...
The kiddo is full on walking now. No arms up to help him, nothing. Running at times. It made me think that the next time we go to one of these parks I will just carry him/walk him and bring a back pack. This way I will have my arms free to run after him. Nana and Pa have mistakenly (sorry guys, but I am not happy about this...) taught him he can lean down and pick things off the ground. This was cool at the lake, for a chestnut or a leaf. But so NOT COOL at the zoo as I learned today when he tried to pick up a used band-aid. YUCK! When I pull him away, full-on tantrums. Not Nana and Pa's fault at all... but now I will need their assistance in un-training my kiddo as soon as possible!
He did well, but did get cranky at one point. I didn't know what to do but kept my cool. Not sure if he needs the one big nap soon, as his crankiness was clearly brought on by tiredness. Though it could be the case because his morning nap was so short. I think it was also the wanting to walk thing. I was formerly against kids with leashes and now I am thinking it might be a good idea...
I hate to break it to you but J would have learned to bend down without assistance. Aren't temper tantrums fun? J is right at the age to go down to one nap. I love the 2.5 to 3 hour nap after lunch!
ReplyDeleteI have one question: we you followed by the suspicious looking duck in the link below?
ReplyDeletehttp://threateningloveletters.blogspot.com/2009/09/yorks-wild-kingdom.html