Friday, June 17, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Stay at Home Mom, Part II

Today it was just me and the boys at home. It was particularly challenging, as yesterday was James' 6 week appointment. He had his vaccines and thus was up every hour last night. Big bummer for Mommy, who is very tired. Joel Andrew has had the snots all week, and now I have a sore throat. Try to keep germs away from the baby at this point. Today was also the first complete solo day for us, complete with outing to Gymboree. I know, other mothers would have done this ten times by now. But I readily admit I am not like the other super-Moms.
The day starts with James insisting 6am is an ok wake up call. I convince him it is not, and that we should fall asleep. I very badly position him in his most soothing side lying position on his boppy, on my bed, which breaks so many rules in the Dr and my rule book, but anything for 20 more minutes. It probably took about 20 minutes, because by the time I said, well even if I get 5 minutes... he and I finally fell asleep and woke up 10 minutes before Joel Andrew's typical wake up time. Awesome. Shower? Thank Daddy for helping get Joel Andrew up and breakfast ready so that Mommy could be clean.

Joel Andrew ate none of his breakfast, Daddy got ready for work. Mommy made her breakfast (without any dairy mind you), while James cried for his. Joel Andrew took extreme interest in Mommy's breakfast, Mommy only gets one bite. At least Joel Andrew eats. Breakfast over, Mickey on, Mommy feeds James. Daddy goes to work and now Mommy has an hour to kill before we need to leave for Gymboree. Joel Andrew helps with that. With snots all over his face, he continually asks to "hold James." Fantastic.

As I am feeding James for I hope the last time, he of course ends up puking a bit. Lucky for me I have a bib on. No medicine for us as the Doctor is unsure it is reflux. He is gaining weight, and except for the vaccine incident has been sleeping just fine, so we are supposed to stay the course and invest in Dreft. While cleaning up puke, Joel Andrew proclaims: "I have to go poopy."

Now I have said time and time again, I do not want to even think about potty training until Joel Andrew is 2-1/2. It is just not worth it in my mind. But I guess some other kids in his class at school are doing it, so he has been intrigued. He even peed on the potty once this week. So, I have to take this literally and be a good Mom. We have a mini-duck potty in our downstairs shower. Boy, am I glad I put it there. So, I toss James to the side (gently of course), and take Joel Andrew into the bathroom. He insists on getting totally naked, except for his socks. Which must stay on. Ok, whatever. He sits on the potty.

Nothing. So, I go on the big potty and see if that helps him. Nothing. Fine, no big deal. I don't want to do this either! But, he will not get up. I finally make the big mistake of playing peek-a-boo with the shower curtain which gets his naked (except for socks) tushie off the potty. He then proceeds to pee all over the shower floor. Just as I am exclaiming, "go in the potty" - he walks all over said pee, with socks. Double fantastic. At least it is the shower and was easily cleaned. I get Joel Andrew dressed for the day, cue James' crying.

Sidebar: do you have more than one child? when one is crying does the other like to annoyingly point out over and over and over again, "baby's crying" baby's crying" baby's crying" - it takes the intense feeling of listening to a baby cry, up five more levels.

Anywho, we all load up and get in the car for Gymboree. Mom insists on her daily coffee, my drive-thru sanctuary. Joel Andrew sees the sign and proclaims: "Munchkins." So, yes, my son gets them. James continues to cry - as he seems to have an issue with Mommy's coffee breaks. Joel Andrew lets me know, incase I don't already, that the baby is crying.
Joel gets Munchkins, and throws them on the floor. For some reason they are unacceptable. Come to think of it he has done this three times now. Why does he keep ordering them then? We get to Gymboree 25 minutes early, which is a miracle. But James is still awake, and has stopped crying. Should I try to feed him to avoid a mid-class feeding? Yes. So, I get him, put on a DVD for Joel Andrew in the back and while parked at Gymboree try to feed James in the front seat. Joel Andrew is engrossed in Cars, and the whole parking lot can hear the music. James pukes. Awesome. We decide to bag this plan and go into Gymboree.

Luckily James sleeps the whole time and all of the other parents know how to direct their toddlers away from the baby bucket - that is all, except for me. Joel continues to pull the shade up and down despite all of my cautions and warnings. Now I look bad in front of the other parents. Otherwise we have a great time at Gymboree, Joel sings all of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star impressing everyone. Now back in the car, to go home for lunch and nap.

On the way home, Joel Andrew screams, Car Wash! I haven't taken him through the car wash in like two months, and even so he has only gone in once or twice. I was so impressed, that despite the fact that it was to downpour at any moment - why don't we spend $11 on a car wash? The kiddo really wants one. So, we get in. As soon as we get in Joel Andrew oooohhs and wows for about two minutes and then says: "car wash all done." Um, nope buddy, we still have 5 more minutes. So, that was fun. James slept through it all though. What a champ!

As always, we have "Dilla" - short for Quesadilla - for lunch on Gymboree days. There is a great Mexican take-out place here. Joel loves it. We get into the parking lot and he is screaming "Dilla! Dilla! Dilla" - and Mom looks in the window and sees a line, line, line. No way am I lugging bucket and Joel Andrew in there for a 20 minute wait in line. Now, explain this to Joel Andrew as he is screaming in the backseat, now in a sad tone, "Dilla, Dilla, Dilla" as Mommy slowly pulls away.

We get home, we are fed. James is still sleeping. Joel Andrew eats a ton, which is a welcome surprise. Joel Andrew easily goes up to bed with the promise that he will see Nana and Pa when he wakes up. The second I close his door, James wakes up. Ok. More feeding, more puking. Some playing. Outfit changing for both he and I, more feeding, more puking and finally I decide to put him in the swing. He has been up for two hours, and can no longer be consoled. Plus, I want him to get his napping out of the way so I can get back into our better nighttime routine of power-feeding and awakeness from about 4:30 - 8:00, then from 8:00 - 3:30 a good stretch of sleep, for all of us considering last night. Let's see if this works of if last night ruined this "routine" that was working so well four days prior.

So, that is our day. Waiting for Daddy to come home. Probably should be sleeping now myself. May go do that. Joel Andrew is sure to wake up then!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great! And I'm exhausted just reading it...just think, you'll be back at work soon enough :-)

    PS - I'm kind of pissed for you at your doctor. He should at least TRY the meds. They won't hurt James and if they work then problem solved. Perhaps you can get a second opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I insisted on meds for Josephine around that age. Doesn't hurt her and gives me relief. She wasn't a puker until we put her on formula but she was on the meds by 8 weeks. She was growing fine but wasn't sleeping very well, wouldn't tolerate any time on her stomach, etc. We weaned her off it around 7 months no problems. I'm glad I did it. You can tell him that you want to try it. DO NOT GET ZANTAC, get Omeprezole. Trust me. Also, squeeze his nose, drop it into his mouth and blow in his face, then he'll swallow.

    ReplyDelete