
We went to our Colby 10 Year Reunion this weekend. A lot has changed in five years. The last reunion we went for the whole weekend of fun. And boy did I have fun. I believe I went to bed at 5:30 in the morning on Saturday night. This reunion, we barely made it. Fun was had, sort of. But no drunken fun. How can you have drunken fun, or any fun really, when you are a milkmaid?

But I insisted we go, if for nothing else than to buy Colby things and take a photo there. I didn't even think about seeing people, because how can you have a meaningful conversation with someone when you have a newborn crying and a toddler throwing a tantrum? I was right about that one... but not right about the not seeing people. We did see some fun people, briefly, I hope they do not think we are awful parents...

It was a long ride, and Joel Andrew missed his entire nap but for the most part the both boys were stellar. We saw friends playing beer die, they had secured babysitting at home (or left their wives at home) - so we were jealous. Also, I did not want to have my kids around them for very long, they deserved their kid-free time! I split off from the Joel's to find a place to feed James. We went to my old haunt, the art building - that has to be empty, right? Pretty much. We took a few seconds to go into the art museum, which is now the largest in Maine and James freaked out. So sad! He is supposed to be my little buddy. While I was trying to exit the Museum in much haste, we bumped into a Lunder. Like, the people who built the Museum. I was trying to cover saying: "James' first trip to a Museum, he is overwhelmed by the beauty." The Lunder looked like she really appreciated it. I hope so, she (or, I am assuming a family member at least by the way the Museum staff was treating her) donated the $100M collection.

So, where were the Joel's while all this was happening? They were to be at the kid's play area, where a lot of my friends were waiting for us to say hello. But no, they did not go there. They were sidetracked by a beer die table. I was a little miffed to say the least. Finally I had to act like the evil bad wife in front of many old friends to get my husband to leave the table so we could do our final errand, the bookstore. We needed lots of little things that say Colby. Of course, it was too late anyway, by the time we got to the bookstore Joel Andrew was too overloaded, 1/2 hour after his afternoon naps usually end, he began grabbing magazines off the racks and throwing them. Awesome. Needless to say, we left unhappy. But what did I expect? I pretty much knew that was going to happen anyway.

So, the 10th reunion was not as good as the 5th, but still fun in it's own way. Each time we drove by the Colby Mule sculpture Joel Andrew would scream "Horsie." We re-kindled some friendships of the past which is always welcome and awesome. And we got our family photo. After about 10 minutes of both kids crying simultaneously in the car, we even had about an hour of quiet time for the ride home.
Here's to the 15th reunion. No kids, the whole weekend, and extra cocktails for me then.
No comments:
Post a Comment