
For a week, anyway. He wins. I used to think that if your child did not sleep well, it was the parent's fault. Like they were weak or something. Like they catered to their kids too much and went in at the sign of the tiniest wimper. I said I would never be that way. We took the hard line with Joel Andrew and he is a great sleeper. See, I said. Cry it out, so easy. Do nothing and your kid will succeed. Boy was I stupid. (and lucky with my first child).

Granted, James is still young. I am giving up for a week. We didn't CIO for Joel Andrew until at least two weeks from now, after we started him on solids, and after we had a long talk with our Ped. James is to start solids on Sunday (he cannot wait. It is all I can do to keep him from grabbing my spoon), and then we will see the Ped next week for his 4 months. We can talk it out and see what we can do. There is not point in me trying to continue, my parents will be here and we will all be a mess trying to make everything lovely for Aunt Jennie's wedding, which will be lovely.

I'll have you note that my biggest worry throughout my pregnancy with James was his sleep. Clearly I am making a mountain out of this and all my attention to it has made him do worse. He did sleep from 7-7:30 twice this weekend, in Maine. I am wondering if it is the blackout curtains that did it so I just spent a boatload on curtains for here (we have blackout shades, but four big windows in his room still lets a considerable amount of light in). Maybe it was just because I did not have the video monitor. Now I see him squirming around at 4:00am, and I just want to go in there and re-swaddle or move him to the swing to try to get him to sleep some more. Again, I am my own worst enemy here. I just want the kid to sleep!
So, this morning he woke up at 4:15, and finally went back to sleep in his swing by 7. I left him there, and now he is there sleeping. Can't wait to see what this does to our day. We have totally back tracked from my plan of a few weeks ago. But that wasn't working, anyway. So sad. Why does this bother me so much and make me so crazy?
It bothers you because you are like me - sleep makes everything better. For baby and especially for mommy! I also had an easy sleeper (probably why Jeremy doesn't want another one) so I feel your pain this second time around. James is still young so you will get there - I promise! Blackout shades are very good and we had a humidifier running in Cameron's room for white noise. The other thing I did? TURN OFF THE MONITOR. Granted we only had an audio one but I am a light sleeper and if I heard something or saw the monitor light up I couldn't sleep. If your room is close enough I recommend you do the same. I'm sure James will yell loud enough if he really needs you :-)
ReplyDeleteI ditto Stacey - at night we do not use monitors for Nolan or Declan. If I hear Nolan I just let him cry (sounds so evil!) and if I hear Declan I, well, let him cry too (never usually hear him....). Then in the morning I wait until he is crying to go get him...trying to "cry it out" until 6am!! No feedings until 6am!! That is tough, though, because I do not want his crying to wake up Declan. How did the schedule go on that day when you didn't wake him up? I am finding with Nolan that he does okay when left to his own schedule if he is on my schedule most days. Make sense? If I get him to follow my 9-10 nap, 12-2 nap, and 4-5 nap (ish) on many days, then the random days he sleeps too long or too short he'll make up for it and be okay!! I REALLY want him to be a good AND FLEXIBLE napper like Declan!! We shall see....
ReplyDelete