Friday, September 23, 2011

Trying to be Super Mom

I do not know how people do it, stay at home with more than one child. I can't. I better get used to it quick, because it looks like this is my job for the long haul... But so far, I am not working out so good. It is tough man. It is tough chasing a toddler in the park with a puking one in the bjorn, trying to entertain both sniffly boys at home on a rainy day, and trying to get them to take some good naps.
Last night I decided I was going to toss my pity party. Yes, so I do not have a job and I get puked on every day. Yes, I wake up at the crack of dawn and have been so exhausted I can't even stay up for my tv shows or a glass of wine. But no more. Time to snap out of it, there is no real sickness here, no death, no war close to home. Just me whining. So last night I said enough. I am going to plan my indoors, in our home day with the boys and we are going to have fun, damn it!
They both have the obvious sniffles. So, I cannot take them to Gymboree. It is raining and crappy outside, so we are not going to the park. I don't dare try to take the two of them together on errands, so it is us and the house. As you know from my previous posts, I invoke Mickey at times to help ease the day, break up some time and keep Joel Andrew occupied. Today I only gave myself two Mickey's total, one so I could put James to morning nap and one for afternoon nap.
James is in morning nap, and twenty minutes later Joel Andrew screams and runs down the hall and wakes him up. But I am Super Mom today, so I decide not to let this bother me and instead give James a chance to go back to sleep. He needs to learn to live with Joel Andrew's noises. So, Joel Andrew and I continue with my Super Mom morning project. Making Play Doh, from scratch. I read in a few craft books a few different recipes. My son hears me say Play Doh over and over and says "No, Mommy, this is the Play Doh." He has run into the other room and gotten the real deal. "No," I explain. "We are going to make our own, help me mix." He looks at me like I am nuts. "But this is Play Doh." Yeah, I know kid, but today I am Super Mom so humor me.

He mixes the Play Doh for two seconds and whines. I immediately want to snap at him but instead breath and go over. Have you ever tried to mix corn starch and water? It is tough. Fine. Let's use the next recipe. Salt, flour and water. Much easier. Joel mixes and out comes a sticky mess. So I say, "Let's play." Now, mind you I am a neat freak and hate messes so this is tough for me, to encourage this, but I also am artsy and want to encourage that... So, I give it a try. Joel takes one look at it, and says: "Mommy throw it out, let's play with this Play Doh." Fine, Super Mom task did not work. We make pancakes and balls with Play Doh until I remember that Baby was crying 15 minutes ago in his crib and I should check-in. He is now hysterical and rolled up against the slats of the crib. It takes me a good 20 minutes to calm him down.
We spent some good time playing with balls, of various colors, materials, sizes and I think it was a good learning process for Joel Andrew and a nice thing for James too. We actually go for a nice trip in the car to get lunch. All is calm at lunch, and most of it is eaten. Nap time rolls around and all hell breaks loose again. Toddler fighting to nap in his crib does not mix well with Baby who needs to nap down the hall.

I'd like to stop whining. I'd like to say I am getting a hand of things, but I can't. I need your help. Any ideas of games or things to do with two kids, keep them occupied? We ran out of all the ones I researched by 11am...

5 comments:

  1. That third picture really shows how much Joel Andrew and James look alike, don't you think? Good job with the super mom activities. I am blogging while Cameron is watching Backyardigans on her little TV. Super mom I am not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going back to work?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! I often worry I'll never want to have a second kid because I can't imagine juggling more than one needy little person. Don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds like you're doing a great job.

    Here are a bunch of rainy day ideas I've been collecting. Click on the pictures for links. I think you should be able to see this even if you're not a member of Pinterest. (Which, by the way, is an awesome nap-time time-waster, but it sounds like you don't have a lot of free time these days, so maybe I shouldn't tell you that!)

    http://pinterest.com/apclark/stuff-to-do-with-kids/

    Also, Milly's favorite thing this week is a little plastic storage box that I filled with dried lentils and pasta and various scoops and cups, etc. She fills and dumps them to her hearts content for 20-30 minutes at a time. It's kind of messy but nothing a dustpan or vacuum can't take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Amy! That website is Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! It seems there are a bunch of ideas on the internet...was just recently skimming this list of ideas that seem simple yet fun.

    http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Toddler-Learning-Activities.pdf

    ReplyDelete