Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Milestones

So today I thought I would talk about Milestones. Mine!

I am 32 today. That is way old. But still way young. I only hope I make it to 64... Imagine what I can do in the next 32 years. I am afraid to write this, I always worry I won't make it that long. Birthdays are a nice reminder to celebrate all you have done, and be thankful for all you have done. We are here for such a short time, it is good to be efficient and make your mark! Enough philosophy. What have I done?

Well, I haven't gotten on Ellen yet, or had my 15 minutes of fame yet... And, I haven't travelled to each continent yet. But we are not going to focus on what I haven't done right now. We will focus on that tomorrow.

I have graduated college, and was the first in my family to do so. Not to mention, Cum Laude, with Distinction in the Major, from a top 20 school in the country! Yeah, Colby! I also met my husband there, so I also got my MRS.

I also got a master's degree from Harvard. (extension school, but Harvard nonetheless). That is pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

I fly fished in the Yellowstone River and caught many trout (more than my husband caught). I rode a Zamboni during a Bruins game, and had the crowd cheering for me. Even if most of them were my family and friends. I have ridden a hot air balloon over Napa Valley, Phoenix, and upstate New York. At one time I spoke pretty good Spanish, then pretty good Italian. And, I can read Russian.

Some of my more favorite milestones include when I never played a sport, and then ended up on the Rugby team in college for 3 years. Or, the first time I had a glass of wine at a wine tasting. Or when I climbed up to the Duomo in Florence; ate a fried cricket in a Mercado in Mexico, had a champagne dinner on a boat in St. Petersburg in -10 degree weather. I have been pretty lucky.

I taught myself various 19th century photographic techniques. I force myself to read even though I rather watch TV, and I force myself to garden even though I am generally into hiring someone else to do things, and against physical activity.

But of all the things I have done, the coolest is, you guessed it - having my two boys. I am very lucky to have them and getting them here has certainly been the hardest thing I have done yet. But with each day we are getting better and better and happier and happier. So this is for my boys, these are the things I did before you... What will we do together?

1 comment:

  1. I have read this after some wine and realize that of all the things have have done, pass grammar 101 is probably not one of them... And I wrote his sober, but with a cranky baby... Sure, blame the baby...

    ReplyDelete