As you can see, the skateboard for our stroller came in very handy. Joel Andrew loved to ride on it as we walked the fair grounds. I was surprised at how well it worked out. Especially because he refuses to be tied down in the stroller. So, he hopped off to see the animals, and hopped back on till we got to the next thing.
There are tons of things to do there for the little ones. There was even a magician scheduled at some point, though we totally missed that. We spent most of the time walking around and seeing the animals, pigs, cows, chickens, ducks, llamas, goats, sheep, etc. Joel did not want to touch them, but enjoyed looking. Worked out just fine for me! He did have one freak-out though, when we went into the Poultry tent. He did not like being in that room, with all those chickens, hens, roosters, ducks, geese, pigeons in individual cages. It was creepy, he was right.
One could gain 80 pounds in one day at the Topsfield Fair. They had every bad food known to man. I was lucky and when Joel said he wanted a snack, I looked and looked and all I saw was fried food. I asked him if he wanted french fries and he said No! Can you believe it? We went into the veggie tent, and sure enough they were selling "matos" - Joel's favorite. So, that is what we snacked on, aren't we healthy? I am going to start saving up my weight watchers points for next year though, because they had some authentic looking knishes (YUM!), a polish cart with excellent Kielbasa, and the whole place smelled like fried dough.
Only bummer was they would not let me in the nursing mother's tent. This is because I had a sibling with me, and I am told siblings were distracting to other nursing Mom's. I kinda understood, but then I kinda didn't. I was in a way psyched that there was a room I could corral my one toddler son in while I fed Baby James. How could I corral him out in the open? No matter, Baby James cooperated and waited until we got to the car to eat. All was fine.
Joel loved the model train set, Grumpy better get his job of building Joel Andrew's model trains soon! We saw another elephant. Seeing elephants twice in three days, what a lucky guy? He was the best toddler anyone could have ever had today. And, for that matter James was the best baby. I am glad we did not listen to the weather report and we had our own adventure.
We will certainly be going back each year. To eat the food, see the animals, and later on, go on the rides. They had some kiddie rides and Joel Andrew rode the train all by himself. But it looks like at night there is a fun ride area, with all sorts of games (including skee ball, which I rock at) and a Ferris wheel. Perhaps in a few years this will be Mommy's birthday tradition?
Having such a great morning has rejuvenated me on this Mom job thing. I am ready to plan other adventures! Now, if only they would nap...
I remember the Topsfield fair from when I was a kid. I am still puzzled about the nursing tent. So they assume mothers have only one kid? That's stupid.
ReplyDelete