Today we stopped at the Field Museum. It is in a pretty neat section of Chicago - where the Aquarium, Planetarium, Field, and Soldier Field (football stadium) are all right next to each other along the lake. The Field is Chicago's Natural History Museum. We got in for free using my ASTC/ACM membership. That is $30 saved for me!
I graduated from Harvard with a Master's degree in Museum Studies, so this is primarily the reason why I lug my kids to all these places. But I really don't like, or get Natural History Museums. The Field is huge, and awesome, but I still was not a fan. We brought Joel Andrew into exhibit after exhibit, and we just kept saying things like: "there is a stuffed wolf, remember when we saw the real wolf yesterday?" and "there is a stuffed fish, we are going to see a real fish next."
I tried to explain the dinosaurs, a pyramid, a volcano - a few things to Joel, but he just wanted to push the buttons on the explanatory labels. My kid is going to have the best vocabulary ever. I think in a few years this place will be awesome with two boys. But with a preschooler it wasn't so great. There is supposedly a play lab for kids - but it was closed due to lack of staffing. There was no other play area, and all the exhibits were designed for at least Kindergarten plus. It was pretty empty though! Oh well, maybe next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment