I should start off by saying a big thank you to Ama and Grumpy. They were great hosts to us while we visited in Chicago. They baby-proofed the apartment (not James-proofed, but baby proofed. There is no way anyone could James-proof) - this was a big feat for them because they are literally collectors of china, glass, vases and antiques. Lots of stuff had to be put away. Ama went crazy on the food and made them some delicious meals, and even was very patient when the toddler did not want to eat the delicious meals. Grumpy took care of both kiddos, individually, at many times. he made frequent trips to the mailbox with Joel Andrew and had full days with just Baby James. The two just stared at each other and kept thinking back and forth: "You look like me," I am guessing... No, they had a great time. Even the high chair, pack n' play was all set up when we got there, Ama did constant laundry so that we would not have tons left behind, and the basics that I had sent ahead of time from diapers.com made it so that I did not have to lug diapers, wipes, formula, lotion, etc on the plane, or make annoying lists for my Mom to buy. We really had it set-up great. I have wonderful parents that made it as nice of a stay, as easy as possible for us.
All that being said, it was not easy. It was so rough! As you know from previous posts, flying with kids, even when people are being nice, is not easy. Flying alone with two kids was rough. With husband it was easier, but still a challenge. I just kept thinking, when James is Joel Andrew's age we will be set. No carseats, each kid has their own backpack with goodies, no bottles, each kid has their own iPod with movies, and Mommy sleeps...
But until then, we have a few more trips. Can you believe it? A few more! What was I thinking? I have never ever had a good flight to Hilton Head, ever. I have been stuck in the airport for 6 hours +, I have been assaulted by a pregnant lady when I was fighting for the last seat in a puddle jumper in Charlotte after an 8 hour wait one time. I stood, arguing with the flight attendant, watching her shut the door on my connection telling me I was 1 millisecond too late another time. I almost was arrested for assault that day. And, I haven't even had it the worst. My sister-in-law ends up taking car rides from Charlotte at 2am with strangers... The connection is probably the worst in all of travel history. And, I am going to make it (or not) with two boys in less than three weeks. ARGH.
But, I have to remember the good points to travel. Ama and Grumpy certainly appreciated showing their boys off and I know Nana and Pa will too. We got to see so many cool things in Chicago, the zoo was the best - as were so many of the other places we visited. We had good family time and it is good that Baby James is learning to adjust no matter where we bring him.
But, the not being home and having the comforts of home got to us after a few days. Even things as simple as a humidifier would have helped. We ended up in an Urgent Care (something that seems to happen to us every time we go away) - and had some fevers, some colds, lots of sniffles, a few pink eyes and a sleepless night. I guess, again, this comes with the territory. I am writing it down to remember all the fun we had...
So, we look forward to our next trip and hope that with each one moving forward it will get even easier. It has to... right?


If you get stuck in Charlotte you can bunk with us!!
ReplyDelete