Friday, March 16, 2012

Tooth Counter


Today we went to the Tooth Counter (also known as the Dentist).  It was Joel Andrew's first visit, and boy was he a good boy!  I have to say, this was an episode.  The dentist's office sent us mountain's of paperwork before we even arrived telling us it is a better experience for the child if everything is filled out ahead of time.  They wanted us to arrive 5 minutes early.  They called twice to remind us of the appointment, and left messages, insisting we call back to let them know that we know there is an appointment and we are coming.  I was pretty excited for all of this organization.  I hate waiting for a Dr., I thought we would avoid that.  But of course we didn't.  We arrived, waited 25 minutes in a waiting room full of kids and only two toys.  A pediatric dentistry place!  There were no fish, which I feel is obligatory since Finding Nemo came out.  But I had a little angel.  Only Mommy was annoyed at the wait.  I think the working Mom thing has already kicked in and I value my time 8,000 times more now.

 Anyway, putting all that aside, he did a great job.  In the mountains of paperwork they sent ahead of time, there were guidelines on how we can make the experience not frightening for little kids.  Instead of using the words "checking or examining your teeth" we should instead say "counting your teeth."  Do not say "drill" say "whistle."  Pretty funny.  So, I prepared Joel ahead of time for the "tooth counter"and he had a ball.  The hygienist just took a peek, showed him the fun chair, and actually tried to floss him.  Which went pretty well, for the first few teeth and then immediately erupted into hysterics.

This is where I differ here with the dentist.  They were telling me he had plaque build-up and I should brush for twice as long as I do now.  They were telling me I needed to floss him.  They were also telling me I should expect him to get braces when he is older.  I was obviously skeptical to all of this, and let me know if you agree or disagree.  I believe it is important to brush teeth and we have established the routine.  Joel Andrew brushes for a bit, then announces: "Mommy's turn!" and hands me the brush willingly and lets me brush.  But, there is a finite amount of time he allows me to do it and sometimes I just do not want to argue.  Not because I am lazy, or tired (though I am sure that is in there, but this is not the primary factor).  My primary factor is I want him to do this every night, and every morning.  I want to avoid fighting each time we do it, because no matter what - if he is kicking and screaming I am not going to get his teeth as clean as when he lets me do it for 30 seconds with no problem.  So, here I differed with the dentist.  I was also annoyed that she was planning her unborn's college education based on my two year old's crowded teeth.  Why is she telling me now he needs braces?  Seriously.


Anyway, the real part of the story is how much of a champ the guy was.  He brushed the teeth of the stuffed animal there.  He went up and down in the dentist chair.  He smiled and chatted with the dentist and the assistant and he played on Mommy's phone while I was talking to the dentist.  He was a charmer, a flirt and an awesome guy.  If only Dr. Fischer (my first Dentist) could have seen this!  I was not such the good patient (and still am not...).  He is scheduled for his first cleaning in October...

1 comment:

  1. We just did Cameron and we also had multiple reminders and a need to "confirm" it. Perhaps these guys get burned all the time? Anyway, Cameron did great and the flossing thing is not happening for now. I also let her brush her teeth and then take over.

    ReplyDelete