Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Frame Free Stuff


I know this is usually a blog just about my family, but I am so impressed with myself I had to post.  Here are some photos of my newfound talent: I am good at framing free stuff.  Top I have framed historic wallpaper samples and hung them in my entryway.  This cost nothing, is special to me as I used to raise money for the historic houses that have the actual wallpaper in them, and it was a nice way to decorate my large entryway without actually putting wallpaper on the wall that is costly and difficult to change at a later date.  Score!  I bought the frames from Michaels, 40% off with a coupon for an additional $15; got the wallpaper samples for free - total cost, less than $60!


Boring water closet no more!  I took some old white frames I had lying around, and bought a few more, cut up an old map that was in my car (no longer needed with GPS), and here it is!  The maps are from around Portsmouth and Hampton Falls to boot.  Gives you something interesting to look at while you are on the pot, costs nothing, and the only problem was hanging them all straight.  Total cost, $60 (again!).


I have been having a hard time with what to hang in my bathroom, which I painted robin's egg blue, and has light tan tile.  I bought some bright raspberry carpets that help, and a pattern of towel that ties it all in...  But I needed something else - so I thought this up.  I saw someone selling a seafan version of this on Etsy for over $200...  So, I decided, I can do that!  Went on Amazon, got a bunch of shadowboxes... Went to Michaels and got some backing board of the raspberry color...  went on a website that will send you as many sand dollars and starfish as you want, all under $1 each (some as low as .20 cents, all with reasonable shipping).  And, here we are!  Still waiting for my seafan to come in, but the shadowbox is ready for it...  Now, I only hope that the glue holds here.  That is the one potential problem... Especially being in a bathroom...

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. These turned out wonderfully! I mean FAB-U-LOUS! Great idea and even better execution. I can't wait to see them in person!

      Delete