Saturday, March 3, 2012
Man Weekend
This weekend Joel Husband is taking a deserved Man Weekend at Sunday River while I stick it out at home with the boys. I had such a good plan as to hanging out with my boys, that I was actually looking forward to this. I was going to be positive for my husband so he could relax and have fun, I was going to have fun with just me and my boys. I was even going to... gasp... higher a sitter for Saturday night so I could have a break, and get out and do some last minute shopping for our trip to Chicago on Monday. But you know what they say about the best plans...
On Thursday I woke up and immediately knew it. The "Cleanse" bug had hit me. I was in for my 24-hour cleanse whether I wanted it or not. Because of inclement weather, Husband was working from home. But - thank whomever it is responsible - daycare was still open. It took husband a few hours to figure out I was not kidding. Perhaps my wretching noises from the bathroom echoing throughout the house - or rather, my "Honey, you should take Baby James and leave me in this room quarantined or else you might get this for man weekend" worked... Cause Husband took James and I slept. All Day. Like a champ. (of course sleeping was in between sick, I do not want to make this sound like fun, because it was not fun, at all)...
Anywho, 12 hours later (perhaps this is an expedited cleanse), I was a new woman. This also coincided with bedtime, which made me think that husband might of thought this was all a farce. No way man, I needed that day. I have every last minute of my "maternity" leave programmed to the millisecond, and I lost a day of organization, cleaning, shopping and such. Plus, what I was more concerned about... I had the most contagious bug that has effected a good chunk of the New England population this year... Who was next? And I am going to be home alone with boys!
Friday went by and we were once again productive. I packed for Chicago, and I pulled out the next set of clothes for Baby James from the attic. Which also happens to be the only set of clothes left for Baby James from the attic. Yes, kids, my soon-to-be-10 month old is ready to wear 2T. And, my 2-1/2 year old is barely in 3T. This will make things easier for me, right? I hope! Anyway we are off to Hilton Head shortly after I start work (built into my work plan, I tried not to start until after that, but that wasn't happening :) )... so, I got clothing prepped for such occasion, and the summer I guess too. I am telling you, prepping for work is a lot like nesting for a new baby.
Anyway, I digress.
Friday was productive. Daddy was gone all day, did not come home, went straight up to Maine. I picked Joel up from school (he went Friday since he missed Tuesday from his last day at Sunday River), we had dinner, they went to bed, all was grand. They woke up, everything was great, had a bath, all was grand. We got some snow pictures, Baby James napped, Joel and I had fun in the snow, played with trains, made Jello, all was wonderful. James woke up, we went and did errands, got Quesadilla for lunch, I had totally forgotten about being sick. Until about a 1/2 mile from home, when breakfast went all over the back seat, car seat, and baby in my car. Nice.
Now, just so you know, convertible car seats are not easy to clean. At least mine (Britax Marathon) is not. While struggling with that, with hungry toddler, with still puking baby, we managed the afternoon. I put baby in the high chair (because really, where else do you put him?) and he was just more and more sick. Also, our high chair is not easy to clean. Finally I came to my senses and even though it was not nap time (I am a stickler for that) - Baby James went to bed. He needed it man. Joel ate. Then he watched Despicable Me, the entire movie, while I cleaned and disinfected everything. And I cried. I cried, and cried and cried. I was sad I now had to obviously cancel my babysitter and would not get to buy new clothes. I was sad we had to cancel our Museum of Science day tomorrow, I was super sad we were going to be stuck in the house the rest of the weekend (there was no way I was getting this carseat back together, let alone in the car - a Joel Husband job), but most of all I was sad about - when is Joel Andrew going to get this next? Tomorrow? Tonight? On the plane to Chicago on Monday. Do we have to reschedule or cancel our trip?
Well, that remains to be seen and is still a major concern. But I have since put things in perspective. There will always be time to buy clothes and have a babysitter. The MoS was probably just going to anger me with crowds anyway and do I really need that the day before a plane ride alone with two kids? And, I am a big girl and with a few deep breaths and curses I figured out the carseat all by myself. Baby James woke up a better man and ate like you have never seen him eat before (only bread-like things people, I am not dumb, it laster 12 hours on me, I am fully prepared to wake up at midnight and change some sheets...). This incident has also forced James to become a pro at the sippy cup - I gave him water instead of a bottle and he was so thirsty he finally figured the thing out... So, we will see.
Husband will be home tomorrow evening. I hope he had fun. Because Joel Andrew is lined up to be next. Just please, please do not be while we are on the plane.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment