Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Happy Anniversary, Ama and Grumpy



 A few weekends ago (I am really behind on blogging, can't you tell?) we went to my parents house in New Buffalo, MI for the weekend, to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary.  My parents renewed their vows - what Joel Andrew continues to call "Grumpy and Ama's wedding marriage."  We spent the first few days relaxing (sort of) at New Buffalo, eating at The Stray Dog (their version of The Salty Dog), going to the beach - which was a favorite for everyone, taking some naps, going for a boat ride with Kirk and Gary, running on the lawn in front of Ama and Grumpy's house including constantly taking out the electrical wire flags that were in the ground there.  I am pretty sure that is a felony and James should be in jail ten times over by now, but oh well!

There was napping and eating (more cream cheese toast eating than you could shake a stick at) and lots of tantrums.  I don't know what it is (perhaps it is he is 2!) but James has been on tantrum and sly overdrive lately.  By sly I mean he is just standing there looking calm and quiet one minute, and then out of nowhere he darts - in the middle of the street.  He did this while we were waiting in line for the restaurant to open Saturday morning and I never heard such a sound from my mother.  I was amazed my parents were so hands off when James walked over to them, I was about to say something like "hold him" - and then I knew it was coming, off he went.  In my parents defense, and for something I have come to learn, James is so different but you just do not expect it.  Joel Andrew was so good.  He had his moments, don't get me wrong - but when you asked him to do something, he did it.  James is pretty much quite the opposite.  This makes travel and taking him - and us - out of our elements, really rough.


But everyone had a great time.  Grumpy got some quality kiddo time and a great photo to show for it.  Joel could not get enough of Grumpy by the end of the weekend.  James had a good time as well, after he gave us a few heart attacks.  But the best news of the weekend was that we have finally figured out the airplane!  The trick, we sit in separate rows.  Joel Husband takes Joel Andrew, and I take James.  I watch a lot of Lorax for this, but James is fine and calm and happy.  But they did so great, and I felt fine after the flight - not a balled up mess of stress like usual.  I was saying before our trip that this is our last plane ride for a while, until they are 6 or 8 (except for Disney of course) - but now I am ready to go back in the plan anytime!  Just with another adult helper for sure!

Happy Anniversary Ama and Grumpy!

No comments:

Post a Comment